G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy.
Does anyone know if it's possible to add R/C to a Regner Konrad?  I'd like to get one, but would like the freedom of controlling it without following it around.
Dan.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Hello,

If I get your question right, you don't have a Konrad yet but are interested in getting one? I have a Willi which has the same chassis/powertrain and it doesn't have rc.

My layout has a couple of steep grades and the Willi will walk right up them pulling a good load about 10 lgb 4 axle flats with real logs with no problem. I can set the throttle at a slow pace and it will maintain the entire layout slowing down a bit but not stalling on the grade.

I'm sure you can add rc if you want to but this loco really doesn't need it because of the gear ratio it has. Now my Ida or any other rod engine will benefit from rc.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Regner now makes an R/C kit for thier Lumber Jack. It has two cylinders, which makes it self starting. The Konrad and the Willi are single cylinder engines and you must give the flywheel a flip to get it going if the the engine has stopped with the cylinder at top or bottom dead center. I have a Regner Willi and run it on my ground level layout and run it in places that my Accucraft Ruby would fly off the track due to lack of control. I like running the Willi (which is the same engine and gear set as the Konrad) on my track, it's pretty much a set and forget loco if you want it to be. I ran it for 40 minutes once without adding either fuel or water. There is no real need to follow around behind it, as long as you got all the twigs and branches picked up first.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Dan, my Willi pulled 19 Accucraft reefers and caboose at the Summer Steam Up two years ago. And that was with wheel spin because the track had oil, etc. on it. I did not have to chase after it. It just maintained a slow, steady pace. I've had a lot of fun with it. The Konrad is essentially the same loco.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, As the 'Konrad' is geared you do not need radio control and anyway, if you have R/C you will look as if your waiting for a bus standing there like that!! I would have thought the enjoyment of manual driving a live steam engine great fun, maybe you should revert to electrical trains?1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts