G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a pleasent autumn afternoon, what better than getting your C/F onto the track, firing it up and running with a rake of Box Cars.
I followed the usual proceedure with some light oiling around the motion and then oil, water and Butane/Propane mix.

Its a big gas tank, so 'one long' continuous fill is not going to happen without some refrigeration. In my experience this engine prefers regular top ups of gas rather than try to push too much in initially.

On my engine, I canot assume that both burners light simultaneously, even though you think they have. You will not achieve performance unless you are over 60psi. If you are running at 50psi then you only have one burner going.
I really do have to make sure to turn the gas up higher when I light up through the smoke box door to ensure both burners take up.

The boiler has a huge capacity of course and will run for some time without the axle pump. Best however to get the By-pass closed after a few laps, although I find it difficult on my engine to achieve a half on/ half off situation.

What happens after five minutes or so running is that you can't read the glass. Is it full or empty? Don't worry. The excellent C/F pump will not allow your boiler to empty.assuming you have water in the tender of course!
With the right attention thse engines are free steamers and do not slip if you 'notch' open the secondary regulater valve. They are powerfull and will just keep running.
A cautionery note however. Check your steam oil every 30 mins or so. You will find you are running with just thick hot water....

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Thanks for the brief on your engine.

Here some of our related notes:

1) Burners- place 1/2 U wire mesh inside the burner: better ignition, burn and less noise. Also related to gas fill and burn- bleed off any liquid in the tank prior to ignition.

2) Sight glass/water indicator- utilize the axle pump until you see a mist of water out of stack (over fill) to guarantee adequate water level in boiler

3) Oil-redesign is necessary to meter but remember a little goes a long way. Usually, a sign of too little oil and too much water: is a reduction of performance when all else is properly set.

This past weekend we ran two modified CF's that were a pleasure to have running along the rails. At some point maybe a summary about the CF that could be posted in the Informative Threads Index as a reference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts