G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is what I've been up to rather than working on the layout. Too much rain lately--so we do indoor projects. This was supposed to be a simple repaint of an Aristo covered 2 bay hopper into this:

This is the stock car lowered, with KD's and I replaced the friction bearing trucks with more modern rollerbearings (aristocraft as well).

The more I looked at the car the more changes I felt were needed/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif" border=0>" border=0> So after some new grab irons, new roof walk and rearranging the roof hatches and scratch building the latches, and stripping the lettering we have this, washed and ready for primer/paint:

Several days later and a coat of Krylon grey primer and then a great color I found at Wally World--Kryolon Celery. It looks like a great match for the FEC MoW light green (the prototype photo above is not quite right--it looks too grey, but I have seen the prototype and it is green)

The decals were done on MS Publisher and printed on decal paper from Micro Mark on my Inj jet printer. I am not as happy with the printing of this printer (a Brother) as compared to others I have printed on my HP that died. But this is the first set I printed on clear decal paper vs. the white paper I have used in the past. But up close you can see the print rows, I think I will play with the settings in the future.
I finished decaling the car tonight.

Next is a flat clear coat and move on to weathering and final detaling.
I promise when it stops raining some time in November I will continue work over on the Meadley Branch layout and post updates there.:D" border=0>" border=0>
Matt

·
Registered
521 Posts
You have achieved a very realistic looking car Matt. Good Show.
Just think if our RR models were tin and not plastic we could achieve that effect naturally by leaving them out in the rain. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I just need to get home early enough after work to get a good flat coat on the car to start weathering--ain't no fun without dirt and rust!!

Quick question, I am not happy with the break wheel that came on this car, anyone know of a source of a modern break wheel--Ozark seems to only have NG styles in 1/20.3 or 1/22.5?

Matt

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah my favorite part has come--weathering--nothing like rust and dirt:D
I suspect I over did it a bit--but I like the look, need to learn more self control.

And the top:

This is 2 washes for dirt and depth, then dry burshing for rust. Next will be some weathering powder for better depth.

Stay tuned to this channel for more updates (assuming of course I don't get hit with a hurricane/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif)

Matt

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Matt,

Looks very good! I don't think you can over do it on weathering. I worked for a railroad for 35 years and their are some pretty ruff cars out there.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Want to break out the airbrush for the "road grime" today. But need to spend the morning preparing for a hurricane--what a drag./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/angry.gif Maybe this afternoon :cool:

Matt

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Look good Dr.G..... I spary paint weathered with red dark primer, camo brown and flat black make look better of weathered covered hopper car from Aristo.

BEFORE

AFTER

G

·
Your a sick man and so am I....I LOVE IT!!!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif
You have a video of you doing that, since you have long train vids???
Toad
I am in love, Santa Fe All The Way....

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bryan,

That is awsome, did you use the Krylon camo colors? The only ones I can find now have the "fusion" in them and folks around here seem to think that is a problem? Let me know if yours have "Fusion" on the label--and if you are happy with them.

Matt

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok we are getting close here. Got the car back together after some weathering chalk. Decided to put the car back together and then I'll put the final road grime. The trucks are still in primer, those will need to wait until Fay has left the state./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

I really do not like that break wheel--too thick and not round./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/ermm.gif Anyone know of a more scale break wheel available?

Matt

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
OH i forgot Dr.G! YES it have Fusion! :)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
the Krylon Fusion camo i use called "Khaki" color good for sand & dirt color for your weathered. Dr.G

G

·
Dr. G, man that is a sweet car! Your a man after my own rusty heart!!! Very nice thread.
I tried the chalks but I am not good at/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif Any one want them you can have them chalks email me./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif
Toad

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dr. G
Looks like your weather is going to be kinda crappy tomorrow....better put this car some where it is safe..../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

1 - 20 of 28 Posts