G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kim has been asking me for almost a year for a train of her own (She HAD a Lionel set in her sister's storage unit -- sister quit paying and the stuff was sold) I kept putting her off because we really didn't HAVE the money to buy anything.... since Eli and family are coming for ChristmasI kind of HAD to get motivated to work on the layout anyway.....

The last two evenings were spent on this beast. Kim saw me do it, but doesn't know it's HERS.... ;)" align="absmiddle" border="0" />

Yes, it's "just" an old beat up Aristo 0-4-0 that I got off evilbay a while back-- with a few little mods. Since the Aristo was the "wrong "scale I started with the cab, which is one of those Delton c-16 cabs I had. The pony truck is off who knows what, it came from ebay as well. The pilot was snapped off flush with the front of the loco so I extended it with some brass soldered together and held in place with 2 screws. The engineer is a modified Just Plain Folk figure. He had one arm up in the air, so he's blowing the whistle. The fireman is one that came with an LGB mogul I sold off a while back with a B'mann shovel. The backhead on these things are kind of sparse, I made a water column with 2 picture nails and a bit of brass wire, added a tray with an oil can and scratchbuilt a firebox door out of styrene. I may add more later if I an find a decent picture. I used some Ozark Miniatures and Trackside Details castings I had in the scrap box, and the bell is a modified tinplate Lionel standard gauge tinplate reproduction with a handmade yoke.The sun shades are wire and painted paper. The tender has a modernized, lowered back up light, and a larger coal bunker. While I was at it I electrically connected the pony truck and the tender pickup to the loco as well. Paint WAS my usual modified GN glacier scheme with forest green boiler jacket, grey smokebox, Brunswick green cab and tender, and barn red roof...even though it IS kind of hard to tell that now. :D Decals are from Stan Cedarleaf. I need to add the chains from the tender frame to the trucks and air lines yet.

The consist will be 3 Kalamazoo passenger cars done in B&O royal blue with grey trim grey.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Allen,
You have done your usual great work. I'm sure she will love the new loco.
JimC.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Wow. Didn't recognize that Aristo 0-4-0 at first. Nice work!

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Wow the cab change makes a big difference, nice work, like the Bachmann pilot wheel as well

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pony truck isn't B'mann... rather some cheapy off-brand with weird profile flanges, but it worked well enough. I even managed to re-use the spring and guide. All I had to do to those was shorten the spring and drill 2 holes in the guide to slide over a couple brass rods and glue it in place.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments. If I can do it then almost anybody can. All you need is a sprue cutter, razor saw, needlenose pliers, dremel tool, pin vice and the guts to try. The first cut is always the hardest. If you can't bear to butcher a pristine loco start with a cheap junker to build your confidence

1 - 7 of 7 Posts