G Scale Model Train Forum banner

KB Toys files bankruptcy, stores to liquidate stock and close

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  vsmith 
#1 ·
Just read it in the paper, second time in 4 years KB has been on the block and this time it looks permanent.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/shopping_blog/2008/12/kb-toys-files-1.html

Story said it was recommended that stores liquidate as much stock within the next two weeks to capitalize on the Xmas season, with many, maybe all stores closing soon after.

While KB was not a supplier of G gauge trains, aside from the Scientific Sets every Xmas, they are a supplier of other accessory items like die-cast cars, figures, etc. Plus any final xmas shopping you may have, or if you collect Figures, RC cars etc, may be worth it in the coming days to check in with your local KB to see if they are liquidating stock, could be an opportunity to get some really good deals, sad I hate to see the shops closed and the jobs lost, but might as well make the best of it while the opportunity is there.

See less See more
#3 ·
Back in 2000, KB did sell LGB toytrains and to close them out it was buy one and get the second at 1/2 price.

I got my first LGB cow caboose there plus 2 of the short bridges for $20 total cost.

These were only available at the KB internet stores which was the Wrenthem mall in Mass and in a mall in York, Maine.

You can never tell where items can be found. My best buys were at Marshalls for LGB toytrains.

#4 ·
It is sad to see another hobby chain go out of business

But thankfully it is not one that deals with G scale trains. I know it's a shame though because I used to get 1/18th military figures
from them. THis would explain why they did a 3 for $9.99 when the figures are normally $7.99 retail or $5 at wally world.
They will be missed in the military scale collectors relam.

Rocky

#6 ·
No KB in our area. Closest one left was about 3 hours away. used to ahve a huge Toy Works/KayBee near the Walmart and antoehr in the local version of a Mall on the other side of town. They both closed a long time ago. the Toy Works was the largest profit maker in this region. The former manager was a member of the lodge I belong to.

Chas

#7 ·
If memory serves me.....This is the second time K-B has done this since 2003. They closed all of the stores in the KC area back then. I think we have a couple here in Virginia. Last one I saw was at the Williamsburg Prime Outlets. Our experience was they were never managed properly. Most often the toys on the shelves didn't even qualify for "Mis-fits" with all th opened boxes and broken/missing pieces. Hard pressed to find anything worth the price when we shoped there at Christmas. Just noticed on the website that they have several stores here in Virginia and all are closing as well.

#8 ·
Posted By cmjdisanto on 12/15/2008 6:35 PM
If memory serves me.....This is the second time K-B has done this since 2003. They closed all of the stores in the KC area back then. I think we have a couple here in Virginia. Last one I saw was at the Williamsburg Prime Outlets.

The only ones i'm aware of are in Outlets like that on the East Coast. I could be wrong though?

Our experience was they were never managed properly. Most often the toys on the shelves didn't even qualify for "Mis-fits" with all th opened boxes and broken/missing pieces. Hard pressed to find anything worth the price when we shoped there at Christmas.

You've not been to our local Walmart then or any of the Toys R Busted in the Buffalo area. The Wallly world jsut expanded to a Super version. A years worth of construction tying up not only that store but the stores in the plaza near it and adjacent to that parking lot. I've been back in twice since the Grand Re-opening and will not go back. They carry less than they did before and the food prices are higher.I've goen looking for specific things (a bookcase was the last one) to find absolutely no tall bookcases. The sales associates recommedation was to stack two of them. (sigh) No thanks.The Toys are a mess and basically the onyl good selection is the Walmart off brand crap and a few loss leader things that are brand name. Nope I will not go back. Enoguh ******** in this are will though. Funny enough though the "other" Super Walmart about 15 miles away and in the next state is going to close due to lack of business. they ran every other store in that area out of business and now they are closing. Go figure.

Chas

#9 ·
Posted By cmjdisanto on 12/15/2008 6:35 PM
Our experience was they were never managed properly. Most often the toys on the shelves didn't even qualify for "Mis-fits" with all th opened boxes and broken/missing pieces.

Doesnt help when brainless parents stand by and allow there kids to tear toys out of there boxes in plain sight.

Staff in many outlets didnt give a fig, so the stores were often pretty cluttered. I was in another well know discount chain (not KB but similar staff moral issues) when a very obvious shoplifter tried to leave the store, a patron started yelling "Shoplifter" the thief took off out the building with the patron following, NOT ONE of the staff did anything, I asked why not and was calmly told, "they dont pay me enough to risk hurting (getting hurt confronting the thief) myself" ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.