G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
G

·
Posted By McGinty26 on 08/20/2008 9:51 AM
hey nick,
whadda you mean my track is uneven ???? LMAO!!
Pat

Jeeeeeeeez Pat, i thought you were on vacation:cool: and i couldve gotten away with that comment... HE HE HE /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif ;):D/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif
Nick....

A picture of a brand new mallet before it crapped out..

G

·
My super wheathered and detailed mikado with kadees on Pats layout, by the way we all have fun when we get together and run....
Nick/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Good thread, Dave! I've been planning to ask the same questions. I'm not sure I'm less confused now!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Dave;

Sometimes you have to be a bit creative to mount Kadees on a piece of equipment. The best solution I found for the Bachmann saddletank Porter was to put a Kadee 831 coupler in a Kadee 779 coupler pocket. I believe that I had to remove material from the face of the 779 coupler pocket before the 831 coupler would fit into it, but the combination works very well on the saddletank Porter.

The front view is a bit too dark.

The back gives you the general idea.

I am slowly converting my stock to Kadees, and I really like them.

Yours,
David Meashey

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
To clarify just in case...

1) The truck mounted couplers that come with Bachmann, Aristo, etc., are mounted straight out of the tang attached to the trucks. This results in a very low coupler and while they'll pretty much match each other they are much too low to match up with a body mounted coupler. Thus you don't want to mount a Kadee with a straight shank here.

2) Kadee's # 830 has a straight shank and is for body mounting. Body mounting couplers raises their height well above that of regular truck mounted couplers.

3) To address this problem Kadee's #831 has a crook in it that when truck mounted in place of the original couplers raises its height to match the height of body mounted Kadees. This allows body mounts to be used with truck mounts if desired.

4) Both the #830 and #831 have smaller #1 scale counterparts if the smaller size is desired. I don't know the numbers offhand.

5) The #1 scale size best represent standard gauge couplers for 1:32 and 1:29 scales as well as the 3/4 size couplers used on many east coast narrow gauge lines.

6) The full size "G" Kadees are closest for the D&RGW narrow gauge that used full size couplers on the prototype narrow gauge.

7) The full size "G" Kadees having a deeper profile are more forgiving of uneven track and height isn't as crucial as with the smaller #1's.

8) In my own unscientific tests that I did before choosing the "G" Kadees I found that the full size G's worked slightly smoother and easier than the #1's although both were excellent. The differences weren't enough to choose one over the other by themselves.

9) Just the two types, #830 or #831 or their #1 scale counterparts will take care of the vast majority of your needs in most cases. There are however dozens of additional options as to coupler pockets, lengths, etc., for special installs. See Kadee's listings for these more specialized types.

10) Many of us that use Kadees outdoors clip off the hoses hanging down as we don't use the magnets or delayed uncoupling feature. Any grade will allow the car to roll and not uncouple properly and will mess up the delayed feature. Also the wind will often move a car enough to do the same. Lastly the hoses often catch on debris between the rails and cause derailments. There are a few though that use and enjoy these features so it's up to you and your particular situation. Of course indoors these features can work fine.

I figure there are a number of people that have had no experience with using Kadees and therefore all the numbers and types can be quite confusing. Hopefully this will clarify a bit so you'll have some idea of what's being talked about.

I have used Kadees in every scale you can think of almost and still think they're the best thing going for the purpose. There are couplers very close to actual prototype in looks and detailing that seem to operate fairly well and some others that operate as well as Kadee but none that combine the durability, reliabilty and prototype appearance together in one package that Kadee's do. My opinion!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I agree with Richard 100%. I like the smaller #1 guage coupleres as I mentioned earlier in this thread, exactly for the reason Richard mentionied; I model 1/29. The corresponding numbers for the #1 guage couplers are 820 and 821 (vs 830 and 831). Note that Kadee also makes them in a rusty colored plastic and those are 920 and 921 (or 930 and 931). There is actually some logic to Kadee's numbering, though it still confuses me sometimes when you start dealing with the offset shanks. Fortunately I do not use those!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts