G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Modulator
21,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after all the snafu on the Aristo forum about the couplers not fitting on some of the E8 pilots, I had to knuckle down (ha ha) and fit my 2 locos with Kadees. After all the furor, I figured it would be heck.

Well, turns out the install was pretty simple.

I have a full page on it on my web site:
http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mainmenu-27/motive-power-mods-aamp-tips-mainmenu-35/aristo-motive-power-mainmenu-72/e8/kadees-for-the-e8

Basically used a 787 for the rear coupler, and it close couples nicely.

The front was a challenge to try to get the coupler height right, and reach through the pilot, and not have to trim any of the loco.

Turns out using a Kadee 832 box, with an 835 "zero offset" coupler worked great.

See my site for details, but the install came out really clean, and no shims or modifications to the loco.

Sorry for the big picture, all pix on my site are 800 x 600 so the detail shows.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Looks good Greg. I bet they sure pull good now that you added weights to both. Later RJD

·
Registered
85 Posts
I saw a few pictures of the new Amtrak E8 (proto). I was a little upset they included the port holes on the side. Not one Amtrak E8 has this but I guess you can't make another mold just for one paint :)

G

·
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 10/05/2008 6:06 PM
Well, after all the snafu on the Aristo forum about the couplers not fitting on some of the E8 pilots, I had to knuckle down (ha ha) and fit my 2 locos with Kadees. After all the furor, I figured it would be heck.

Well, turns out the install was pretty simple.

I have a full page on it on my web site:
http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mainmenu-27/motive-power-mods-aamp-tips-mainmenu-35/aristo-motive-power-mainmenu-72/e8/kadees-for-the-e8

Basically used a 787 for the rear coupler, and it close couples nicely.

The front was a challenge to try to get the coupler height right, and reach through the pilot, and not have to trim any of the loco.

Turns out using a Kadee 832 box, with an 835 "zero offset" coupler worked great.

See my site for details, but the install came out really clean, and no shims or modifications to the loco.

Sorry for the big picture, all pix on my site are 800 x 600 so the detail shows.

Regards, Greg

Greg,
Looks good, i will keep this in my hold file till i receive my E-8s. anymore close up pictures of underneath frt coupler on pilot end?
Nick

·
Super Modulator
21,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick, did you click on the link in the beginning of my post? 2 pix of the rear coupler and 2 pix of the front...

If you did, then maybe I need to do a side view of the coupler or I'll take the coupler assembly apart... would that help?

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Greg, One thing I did on all my Santafe's, witch is prototypical for Santafe was to paint all the Kadee's with chrome paint. They look great that way. Hey, that engine look like the one I used to have :) Thanks Rex

·
Super Modulator
21,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hah! Strange times we are in Rex, one day you have one road number, and the next day it's different!

What paint did you find that sticks well to the Kadee plastic? It does not seem to be the same plastic as the Aristo couplers.

By the way, 6 pounds of lead shot helped a lot... of course if I had a B unit, I would not have had to weight the 2 A units!

But, I hear the B units were made of the element "unobtanium"!

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Greg,
I actully used a chrome hobby paint from Hobby Lobby. If you look between the units you will see the silver couplers. I also have full weights in all three units, they will pull your arm off. Thanks Rex

·
Super Modulator
21,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rex, how much weight (and which ones) did you use in your E's?

I'm getting the silver paint, looks a lot better.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
938 Posts
Great great info, thanks for sharing Greg!

I don't own one of these yet (and may not if a B unit never shows up) but it's good to know I can get Kadees on the front and back without engine modification.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
It's easy to mount an Aristo there too. Just clip the release lever shorter with a pair of wire cutters.

·
Super Modulator
21,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tom,

1. Who gives a rat's (blank) about the aristo coupler, please go start a thread on Aristo couplers if you want to.
2. In your hurry to post something, you forget that this loco COMES with an aristo coupler ALREADY mounted on the front.
3. This loco has the shorter pilot, which uses the stock "long" E8 coupler, not the long pilot road name where an extended coupler is needed (and not available)
4. Trimming the coupler is not necessary for the reasons above.

Please, (I could not say this on the Aristo forum I cannot say this because I am a bad guy).... put something either helpful or funny here, not something worthless, or to butter up Aristo.

For you folks who do not know, my comments about the front pilot coupler snafu on E8's got me banned for calling them out in a lie, and Tom is just trying to egg me on.

So, I have a bad taste in my mouth, and Tom, take it elsewhere, I am defiinitely not in the mood.

Regards, Greg

G

·
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 10/22/2008 9:55 AM
Tom,

1. Who gives a rat's (blank) about the aristo coupler, please go start a thread on Aristo couplers if you want to.
2. In your hurry to post something, you forget that this loco COMES with an aristo coupler ALREADY mounted on the front.
3. This loco has the shorter pilot, which uses the stock "long" E8 coupler, not the long pilot road name where an extended coupler is needed (and not available)
4. Trimming the coupler is not necessary for the reasons above.

Please, (I could not say this on the Aristo forum I cannot say this because I am a bad guy).... put something either helpful or funny here, not something worthless, or to butter up Aristo.

For you folks who do not know, my comments about the front pilot coupler snafu on E8's got me banned for calling them out in a lie, and Tom is just trying to egg me on.

So, I have a bad taste in my mouth, and Tom, take it elsewhere, I am defiinitely not in the mood.

Regards, Greg

DAAAAAAAAAAAAM, WOW, OH MY GOD, IM speeechless Im such a proud papa rite now..... people are finally speaking there minds and the truth..... go gettum Greg.......
Tom Toms in trouble...... if you grab the bull most of the time you get the horn... by the way we always knew that place has a hard time telling all the facts, just more and more facts are comin to the surface...
for a change..
Nick...

THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED WHEN TALKING TO THAT COMPANY

Attachments

·
Super Modulator
21,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm going to apologize here to the forum, I'm pretty testy on this one, and I'm frankly tired of the rah rah crowd. Tom knows what he is doing by saying this.

Sorry to make it public, and to get hot under the collar, but I have had it up to here with this stupid coupler thing.

By the way, there are other E8 road names that have a DIFFERENT pilot, a "passenger" pilot more extended than the freight pilot on the Santa Fe.

These will not work with even the extended coupler supplied by Aristo (after 1-1/2 years of waiting) unless you chop off almost all the latching mechanism of the Aristo coupler.

I have not fitted a Kadee to this extended pilot yet, and I suspect you will have to make a mount to do this to get it further forward.

Again, I apologize to the forum for my outburst, getting banned from the Aristo forum for quoting Aristo posts in the Aristo forum is just not sitting well with me.

Regards, Greg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts