G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,am getting ready to install kadee #830 couplers on my rolling stock and engines. The couplers are truck mounted because my layout uses r1 curves which was recommended in the article i read and also by kadee tech. I read an article on this but i can not rember where the article was. I thought it was in grm magzine but i cannot find it . THANKS FOR ANY HELP/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Registered
445 Posts
I went to Garden Railways and looked on the anual for 2006.
There was an article(coupler mounting) listed in the Feb. on page 20.
I hope this helps.
Sean

P.S. They are not hard to do .
The enclosed instructions are all you need.
You could always call them.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Pete,

Kadees have been covered in GR magazine on a number of occasions.

Lots of help available here from people on MLS familiar with Kadees.

You mention the 830, which is the "G" size coupler normally used in a body mount application, yet you also talk about having truck mounted couplers. Are you going to switch to body mounts or do you want to stay with the truck mounts ?

Dennis

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I've thought about changing all my freight to KD body mounts.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry i ment 831 not 830. that said i ,am going to start this evening switching my rolling stock to kadees. Thanks for the replies. i will post my progress later

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok it,s been about two hours since i posted that i was getting ready to remove the stock couplers and install kadee #831s. The lgb,usa cars went easy then the next was aristo-craft oops. I did not realize you had to use the same screw you took out of the stock coupler . i used one of the screws that came with the kadees big mistake. It was to large around and broke off part of the housing that holds the coupler in place i got a screw to hold  in place and also super glued it i guess time will tell if it will hold up. Well back to installing more kadees/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it,s been about another hour and a half i have twelve cars done and the aristo-crafts were the worse to do. Next comes my engines 1lgb mogul 2 lgb forney 3 aristo-craft switcher. Hope all goes well/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow that was quick! I guess truck mounts are easier to install then the body mounts (#820) I am putting on my stock. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif  :)

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Biggest problem for truck mounted Kadee's is a long train will uncouple as the truck tongue will bend under load.  I have seen this with 15 4-axle cars all with metal wheels.

Short trains (10 cars) are ok.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
 We run two trains at a time both  are track powered. One is pulled by a lgb mogul with five cars this track is all layed flat .The other will be pulled by lgb forney or a aristo-craft switcher pulling three or four cars on this set of tracks they  are elavated and has a grade added to it. If i ever learn to post pictures i will show what we have done so far. The kadee in stall was not as bad as i thougth it would be once i stoped getting shot at buy the springs/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
831's  are easiest to truck mount, I installed them on all  my cars LGB, Aristo, and USA. They line up good no matter

what cars you have together. I'm slowly changing over to body mounts.   

1 - 13 of 13 Posts