G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Modulator
22,695 Posts
Lube is a good idea, but the lubrication recommended by Kadee is a powdered graphite, like Greas-em. DO NOT ever put any oil or grease in there. They need to stay dry.

I have used kadees for about 10 years outside, I have NEVER found any crud in them. Is there any special reason or explanation of how dirt got in there?

I lube mine with a generous amound of dry graphite/moly powder, then work the coupler back and forth to "burnish" it into the plastic, then shake it vigorously "pocket down" to shake out any excess. A pile of powdered graphite can turn into a lump with the addition of some moisture.

I've not had any springs fatigue.

Regards, Greg

· Super Modulator
22,695 Posts
Yeah, having "natural cement" splashed up into the coupler boxes is probably not Kadee's idea of fun!

If you hose down the cars, you might invest in a small portable air compressor to blow out the water, it might help.

How do your axles and journals look? I'd think the stuff would be getting in there too.

I have read from several people that putting ballast down helps keep the dirt splashing down.

Regards, Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.