G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Creating a new thread as it appears the other threads are really old. Does anyone have thoughts on using Kadee Archbar Trucks #972 (1:29) for scratch building 1:20.3 cars? The wheels scale out to about 26” and hub to hub about 45”. Do these trucks scale close enough to the discontinued Bachman ones? See pic. Thanks!
JC
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper

·
Registered
729 Posts
From memory, the most common D&RGW freight truck was 3'-7" wheel base, 2" shorter. I am not certain, but I believe the wheels were 26 diameter. The journal boxes are likely not correct for D&RGW, but then it depends on how much of a purist you are.

In general, most folks don't get close enough to the trucks to see that detail. IMHO I would run with them. If you are a purist, check out www.ironcreekshops.com. He sells the D&RGW 3'-7" trucks in 1":20.3. He also sells a good deal of detail parts for LS models.

·
Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
131 Posts
Those are what I put on my first (and only so far) scratch built flat cars. I thought that they looked great especially since the trucks are mostly hidden with the viewing angle of my layout. The truss rods and other details will really help to distract from a couple scale inches of difference.

Everybody has their own level of detail that they need. Based on your interest in this level of scale, your detail exceeds mine.
Someday I want to have built one super detailed car of each type as my "nice" consist. My kids would be thrilled with the idea of a couple "flat cars" ripped from 1 inch plywood. Slap on 2 trucks and couplers and call it an economy train. Build a spur that stretches to the sand box to carry the heavy machinery still covered in sand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts