G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Accucraft K36 battery operated locomotive. This is a very large loco. The engine will not go around a 2m radius curve without binding on the curve. I believe that the issue is in the front pony. I moved the pony up and to one side and it went around the curve. It appears to be a springing issue in the pony. Has anybody had similar problems and what was the fix. TIA

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi, I have a K36, but live steam, that runs on 3m radius curves so 2m is very sharp for such a long loco, but a solution might be to take out the springs on the leading and trailing pony truck that push down as they provide some sideways sliding movement resistance. This way the pony trucks should swing out on the curve and then the only difficulty will be getting the 8 driving wheels around the curve and I hope your track is level with few ups and downs as it may still derail if track not 'smooth'. It will always bind and slow down a bit on a 2m radius curve mine slows on 3m radius.
Russell

·
Super Modulator
21,223 Posts
So the specs say 48 inch minimum radius, or 1.2m minimum radius.

2 meter radius would be 6.5 feet or a 13 foot diameter circle.

Notwithstanding what the spec sheet says, an 8 foot diameter curve is really sharp for such a long loco, the Aristo mikado can make 8 foot diameter, but it has huge lateral movement in all 4 gearboxes and hinged siderods.

I think I am with Russell here.

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts