G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Modulator
21,809 Posts
Long trains with that offset will give you problems, just a note. Kadees really like to be at exactly the right height.

You could run all your couplers at a different height, although raising them might make the uncoupler curve less optimal and not work well.

That's why I use the 830's since the coupler pads are designed for them and the G scale height.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
21,809 Posts
Tom, I have never measured where the centerline of the coupler winds up. I do know that Kadee specifies the "mounting pad" height from the rails, and it is different between #1 and G scale.

I did calculate the scale height of the "G" scale coupler and it comes out at a prototype height at 1:29. OK, I got off my butt and went to the site.

If you go to the Kadee site, and download the instruction sheets for the 830 and the 930, you will see that the 830 coupler centerline is 1-1/8" above the rail, and the 930 centerline is 1-1/8" also.

So the centerlines of the couplers are the same, it's just the size and thickness of the draft gear, i.e. the mounting pad height.

So interspersing G scale and #1 scale couplers should be fine if they are mounted to Kadee specifications, at least for body mounts.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
21,809 Posts
Tom. if not all couplers are aligned at the center line, I advise you to do the deal with the needle file on the inside of the knuckle to flatten the "crown" on this surface. Be sure not to cut into the lip. This will help forestall overriding problems with long or heavy trains.

Regards, Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts