G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about forty cars from Aristo, USA,AML etc. I have kd 920's on all of them. I think they look great and also like the slack the train has now. Today I'm starting to put kd's on my new Aristo two bay hoppers. They have a pad for the 830 or 930 I think it is. My question is about the shim. I have all my other ones with shims but hate the look. Why do we have to shim? Yes I have the gauge and they are at the right hieght with the shim,but could I not just bolt the coupler right to the car and look more like the real thing? Just wonder what others are doing. Thanks for any ideas.

Tom Thornton

·
Registered
688 Posts
i don't use the shim. Some of my couplers are an 1/8" offset to one another and i have no operational problems, I just adjust the trip pin accordingly.

·
Super Modulator
21,424 Posts
Long trains with that offset will give you problems, just a note. Kadees really like to be at exactly the right height.

You could run all your couplers at a different height, although raising them might make the uncoupler curve less optimal and not work well.

That's why I use the 830's since the coupler pads are designed for them and the G scale height.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had to shave some or shim all of my equipment to get the K D 's the right height with the guage. It's worth the trouble, and if you use black or paint the shim to match no one will notice them.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I found that after I installed the correct size, (33") metal wheels in the trucks, removed the shoulder
from the bolster, I only needed an .040 shim to get my 820s to the correct height, and the car itself
is now close to the correct height, not bad at all...
Paul R...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Posted By W3NZL on 12/14/2008 4:48 AM
I found that after I installed the correct size, (33") metal wheels in the trucks, removed the shoulder
from the bolster, I only needed an .040 shim to get my 820s to the correct height, and the car itself
is now close to the correct height, not bad at all...
Paul R...

Paul So most rolling stock the wheels are too big? I have put Aristo metal wheels on all my Aristo cars. How big are the metal wheels from Aristo and how about the ones that come on USA rolling stock? The new two bay hoppers got me thinking about all this but if I was to remove the shoulder from the bolster the wheels might get into the dump chute on the hopper. If the wheels are too big then I'll just keep using a shim. I'd rather spend my money on more locos and rolling stock.

Tom Thornton

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 12/13/2008 7:52 PM
Long trains with that offset will give you problems, just a note. Kadees really like to be at exactly the right height.

You could run all your couplers at a different height, although raising them might make the uncoupler curve less optimal and not work well.

That's why I use the 830's since the coupler pads are designed for them and the G scale height.

Regards, Greg

Greg I have 920's on all my cars and they are the smaller size coupler. The 830 is a "G" scale coupler. Are they set higher than the 920's? So if I use 920's and you use 830's we would have couplers at different height is that right?

Tom Thornton

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Tom,
I haven't checked any of Aristo rolling stock wheels lately, but they were about 36 inchers as I recall, would
guess their still the same, which is fine for the modern rolling stock...Most of the earlier (20s thru 50s) stuff
used 33 inchers though... One thing U have to be careful about with hoppers, especially if U lower them, is
that the wheels will bind on the slope sheets in turns... Doing what I do to them and using Aristo wheels
would not work unless U increased the wheelbase, which is also do-able, but is more trouble than its worth...
I use 33" Jaybee wheels with my lowered cars, and that works out fine...
Paul R...

·
Super Modulator
21,424 Posts
Tom, I have never measured where the centerline of the coupler winds up. I do know that Kadee specifies the "mounting pad" height from the rails, and it is different between #1 and G scale.

I did calculate the scale height of the "G" scale coupler and it comes out at a prototype height at 1:29. OK, I got off my butt and went to the site.

If you go to the Kadee site, and download the instruction sheets for the 830 and the 930, you will see that the 830 coupler centerline is 1-1/8" above the rail, and the 930 centerline is 1-1/8" also.

So the centerlines of the couplers are the same, it's just the size and thickness of the draft gear, i.e. the mounting pad height.

So interspersing G scale and #1 scale couplers should be fine if they are mounted to Kadee specifications, at least for body mounts.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I had an 830 on the work bench and put it on the two bay hopper with no shim. I tested it with the 920/820 kd gauge and the bottom of each coupler are level with each other but th 830 is taller as it is larger. They both worked together but I still like the "1"gauge more than the "G". I also took a box car with 920's and took the shim out and tested it with the 830 on the two bay hopper. The top of each are level with each other. The only problem now is changing the height of the couplers on my locomotives.Not as easy as pulling the shim out.

Tom Thornton

·
Super Modulator
21,424 Posts
Tom. if not all couplers are aligned at the center line, I advise you to do the deal with the needle file on the inside of the knuckle to flatten the "crown" on this surface. Be sure not to cut into the lip. This will help forestall overriding problems with long or heavy trains.

Regards, Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts