G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
213 Posts
Posted By Dwight Ennis on 01/22/2008 1:51 PM
Oops!!! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif You're right... sorry.  The previous photo on the memory card was tha K-36, but it was moving so the photo was blurred.  I ASSUMED without looking too carefully. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif  Here's to egg on my face.  hehehe

Dwight,

Don't sweat it. That is an easy mistake to make considering the engines look very similair from the side. Cover the engine number and it's anyones guess (for most people). 

Does anyone have a few good photos of the new K-36??? Maybe even next to another engine (like a K-28) for size comparison?? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

If not, hopefully this engine will make it to the East Coast show in March, then Jon Kling can do a good side by side comparison like he did with the K-28 vrs K-27 last year.:D

· Premium Member
213 Posts
Rod,

Thanks for sharing. Very nice!  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif:rolleyes::D

Now let me clean the drewl off my key board... LOL /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

· Premium Member
213 Posts
John,

I thought the same exact thing. Why not a DIRECT REPLACEMENT after market Accucraft compatable metered lubricator from someone? Come on guys, there are a lot of locos out there that can use this upgrade.

· Premium Member
213 Posts
Posted By rbednarik on 01/24/2008 8:05 PM
Dave,

Your forgetting that even if it becomes a metered lubricator, the oil would still be piped through the superheater, which in my book is a BAD thing. Properly, we need a deadleg (metered/unmetered) and a kit to install it so that the oil enters right at the valve chest where it will be most beneficial. Superheated oil just thins out and leads to premature failure and if you meter this, it thins out even more, becoming nothing more than nice blue smoke. Not to mention that a deadleg frees up room in the cab by placing it where an air tank would be in real life (ala the GS-4 and C-16).

Bottom line:
If a $2,xxx C-16 can have an OEM deadleg,then why not a $4,xxx K-27/28/36 or for that matter, a slightly more expensive AC-11/12 not have a separate oil feed that comes in right at the valve chest?

Ryan,

I'm well aware of the problem, and totally agree it's probably not a good thing.. I was thinking more along the lines of an easy lubricator (direct) replacment that most everyone can do without having to solder pipe, finding cones, nuts (with the right thread) and all that stuff that drives most people with limited time (like me) nuts. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif As far as installing a lubricator that attaches to the steam chest... good? yes, but not that easy to install. I've asked Bailey and Torry about this and they both said "we'll need your loco to install that".  Like Chris said, maybe the metered lubricator would limit the amount of colesterol on the superheater vein, there by delaying the eventual heart attack.

My C-16 (black 268 from the last/newer run) has the standard Accucraft lub setup. I've heard the old style one sucks 50% of the oil out in the first 1 minute of running./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif  I don't know how true that is....Maybe they should look at how Aster did the lub on the Berk instead of giving up on that design....

I agree, the ultimate solution is for Accucraft to address the problem and install a working system after the superheater tube on future locos (starting with the K-36 :D)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.