G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up to and inch or two of snow today (looks like a lot more is coming tonight!). So I finally got the itch to take the K-28 out and see what she would do with the new plow on the front, and a flanger in tow. I was pretty impressed. She fought hard to get through, but did it. I never touched the engine to help.

The track has not seen use in the past few months, so I wondered about the condition of the track. As the video will show I crossed a switch right off the bat, and even plowed into the Grizzly Flats station! Unfortunatly I missed the video for the best plowing along the side closest to the house, and even had my engine take off full speed in reverse when the receiver battery died! Other than that everything was great...LOL

So here are some clips from today if you care to watch:

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Looks like that K-28 is also used for house moving! :) Nice video.

(Me thinks you have to be a 1st class member to embed the video. I managed to figure out your original post and find the video to view it...)

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I was going to edit the 'house moving' out of the video, but it's a good laugh.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Hey Thanks for the invite of your fellow steam friends......................................................................................................................./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Oh my gosh! Those poor people waiting at the Depot. Someone could have gotten hurt. Think of all the lawsuits you would have here in NJ - your RR would go bankrupt.

Looks like we had the same idea. I am going to post some shots of my plow train today (on a separate post so I do not Hijack your thread). Funny we only live 1 mile apart as the crow fly's, but we had more snow than what you had. Tomorrow you better drag the rotary out; they are forecasting 8 - 12 inches here.

I did not "invite" Jason to my mini steam up with George today either, I figured he would have been here w/o an invite anyway... - Sorry Jay.

Dan

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
David,

Thanks for posting. My question is: "How did you make a video and operate the RC?"

Great shots, especially the station relocation.

Best regards,

Alan

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jay- Sorry buddy... I thought you were going to the train show in Clark?

Dan - You didn't invite Jay?? That's rude. LOL. It's 11:20pm and I just got back in from round 2 with the snow. I waited too long- Way too deep.

Alan- Running both the RC and camera is a pain, but it's a one man operation here!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a few clips from plowing tonight.... The snow was just too deep, and the conditions were pretty brutal (the video does not do this justice). The rails would ice up almost instantly... David, thanks for the info- it worked!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jay, Here's to remebering better days when it's warm and we are double heading....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Davis, that is just too cool for school man! Thanks for sharing that neat footage with us. I just think that is really fun to watch. I'm with SV, a triple header and a rotary plow is in your future.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Dave

Nice video of you plowing your tracks. I was outside last night plowing my with one of my C-19's, but didn't take any pictures. I need to add a light on the front like you have on the K-28 it looks really good. I have always taken pictures, but I think I'm going to buy a camcorder so I can video my engines and post them on youtube.

Were you able to finish plowing your whole track last night. I was able to finish my 140' of mainline track that I've layed so far on my raised layout, but with a little help. Now I will have to wait for warmer weather and the snow to melt off to lay the inner loop and work on my steaming bay. Oh well!

Between you Dan and me we probably have the largest percent of live steamers in one town as you were saying and were all a little crazy to be out in the cold weather running our trains, but what can I say it's unbelievably fun.

I'll call you in the next week or two as I need to drop off the one C-19 to have you install the tender heating system for me.

George

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
George,

Glad you liked the video. All my video was taken with a digital camera set to video mode. I copy the clips to my laptop and compile/edit the clips using Windows movie maker.

I never completed plowing around the loop last night. I had no gloves on (to operate the remote and camera) and I was in pain by the time I made it over the first trestle. Plus the rails (where I cleared the snow) were starting to ice over which made getting speed up to 'buck' snow even more difficult!! The wind was howling (as you can hear in the video) and I my RC transmitter was caked with snow. I hauled my gear indoors and started wondering why the heck we do stuff like this, but the video was cool- so I guess it was worth it!

The head light is simply a mag light flashlight lense and bulb.Having it created a neat effect with the snow and steam. The lens was spun on a drill press against sand paper until the diameter was just right to fit the housing.

I'll be happy to do your tender heater when you are ready.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts

Those were the days....cold feet, frozen finger tips, wet socks, stinging ears all for a snapshot and memories of a winter wonderland along the rails.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
dave didnt you have your track heater on? yes I was in Clark at the show, got home around noon, then had someone to look at the house at 3pm. I was pretty tied up anyway. i stopped at Dans on the way home from the show and they were done runnign already. Yeasterday I worked 13 hours plowing and clearing so trains were not even on my mind. Although maybe in my sleep as I slept 11.5 hours last night. I crashed at 8pm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts