G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I got a chance to show off my new toy, K-28 #478 I bought from Mike at the Train Depot, at an Orlando steamup at Bill CHamberlain's. What a fun day. Definitely worth skipping school for. hahaha

Anyway, I want to put r/c in it and was wondering if anyone had done this to either this engine or the K-27 and had any advice/ tips.

Thanks fot the help,
David

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi David,
You have to be willing to drill holes and modify parts in your expensive, brand new engine; but, the conversion is not very complex. And, to my taste, it beats chasing your engine around the loop making throttle adjustments by hand.

I've have very good experience with the Spektrum DX6 radio control system and highly recommend it. I also discovered that the J bar moves fairly stiffly and demands a fairly high torque servo. I settled on Hitec HS 645MG servos which also have metal gears and ball bearings.
Llyn

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Grats on your K-28.

My dad also bought his k-28 from mike, good guy. He put a weltky whistle in it and I remoted the whistle only.
I might bump into you someday when I visit my dad in deland, sometimes we go to steam meets up there).
I built this small loop in his backyard for in-between steamup meeting times.

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/11/postid/238/view/topic/Default.aspx

Was gonna suggest the extensive RC thread for this but you beat me to it lol.

Andrew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andrew,

What a cool story. I bet you were surprised about the shay! I have seen some of your videos on youtube and really like them. Hopefully we will get a chance to meet someday. Maybe by then I will have rc in my K.

Llyn,

I can imagine it is quite hard to drill into it after spending all that $$$. I think it will be worth it though, as you say, especially since I have 2 major grades on my railroad.

-David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts