G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Modeling Durango & Silverton RR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to find a K27 or K28 Loco, but it looks like no one is currently making them.... and i do not see them for sell. Does anyone have any good sources???

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
I would like to find a K27 or K28 Loco, but it looks like no one is currently making them.... and i do not see them for sell. Does anyone have any good sources???
Bachmann made a plastic and metal K-27 and they occasionally come up on eBay or Facebook. They are in high demand and therefore the prices are ridiculous - $1,000+.

Or are you after an Accucraft K-27 or K-28 in metal? They were made in live steam but again, not many were made and they seldom come up for sale.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The Accucraft locos were also built in sparky, but as Pete eluded to, they don't come up for sale often and when they do you need long arms and deep pockets. Good luck on your search.

There are also Berlyn K's out there but they are even more scarce and revered by their owners.

If compromise is in your wheelhouse, there are threads on this forum and Large Scale Central on converting a Bachmann Connie to a reasonable representation of a K27

·
Registered
Modeling Durango & Silverton RR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Accucraft locos were also built in sparky, but as Pete eluded to, they don't come up for sale often and when they do you need long arms and deep pockets. Good luck on your search.

There are also Berlyn K's out there but they are even more scarce and revered by their owners.

If compromise is in your wheelhouse, there are threads on this forum and Large Scale Central on converting a Bachmann Connie to a reasonable representation of a K27
I realize I am new to the hobby... but in normal business if there is a demand for a product a company normally will produce the item until the demand is met... everywhere i search & Ask the question for a K27 or K28 for sell i hear people say “you & everyone else wants one” a local train store said he has a waiting list of 10 people wanted to buy a used one..... so why doesn’t a company see this and make them?

·
Super Modulator
21,130 Posts
Since you are new, you have not been following the rise and fall in popularity in G scale.

Aristo-Craft, who was a huge player, went out of business...

After almost going out of business due to low sales (blame that on anything you want) the manufacturers and distributors are very careful of what they are producing...

What has happened in the past is runs of 1000 or so were made and there was a glut for some time.... and then they are not produced for some time....

The bottom line is that it is not economical to produce in small runs, so we have glut and drought. This is for the big manufacturers. Smaller manufacturers who can exist on short runs, like Accucraft have also been hit, and their best "bang for the buck" is almost always a new, never produced loco, so they get new customers and existing customers.

Hope that puts it in perspective a bit... realize that many things you use every day are made in the millions, not hundreds...

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
so why doesn’t a company see this and make them?
Well, Greg answered your direct question. Bachmann/Kader estimated they could sell a certain number, to recoup the $$$ cost of the plastic molds. It isn't worth restarting production - usually - for just a few hundred.

Nonetheless, After Aristocraft went out of business, it turned out the same company was the actual owner of their molds. So Bachmann started producing product that used to be Aristo and the molds were already paid for my Aristo. First was the Eggliner, which had the fortunate side effect of being built on a 4-wheel power truck used in many other Aristo locos, like the FA. The power truck is now on Bachmann's parts store available as a spare part.
The latest is the Dash-9 big diesel. They are equally scarce and command high prices on eBay. So Bachmann/Kader is re-introducing the product, and it is expected before next christmas season.

So then you have to speculate on which loco they might decide will sell a few hundred if re-introduced. My guess is the K-27 is pretty high on that list.

·
Registered
688 Posts
.....and only worth the price of admission if they get the gearing right this time. The did much better on the C19 so there is hope......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts