G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Just joined yesterday

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Torby 
Since you plan to keep the railroad in the basement you might consider using Bachmann track. It is a rolled tinplate similar to the old Lionel track. It is very inexpensive and easy to find. Most large scale modelers put their trains outside and cannot use Bachmann track as it will rust to pieces. You can ususlly find the track on ebay as people who buy train sets sell off the track. You should not have the problem of black soot coming of as you will with aluminum track. The track will still bend if stepped on but the replacement cost is cheep. You can run track power with little problem and you do not have to use the expensive rail clamps. Bachmann's system of plastic clips holds the rail joints together fairly well. I just wish my grandchildren were young again. I had great times running trains with them but now they are teenagers and have lost interest in grandpa and his trains. Good luck on your railroad project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.