G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a butane fired K 28. Love this beast, and got on the Accucraft website to download a manual. The only options are electric and coal-fired. Does anybody have a digital copy of a butane fired manual?
I asked Ashcraft a couple of times with no response

·
Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
112 Posts
This link will take you to accucraft's legacy site with manuals

Reactions: rhmeans

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a butane K-28 but I can't find the hard copy manual to copy for you, from memory it doesn't have much information in it anyway so what do you need to know, maybe I can help?
Russell
Thanks, read the coal fired and it gives info on lubricating, oil, etc. guess that works. Would actually prefer a PDF of the manual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its curious that the website no longer has the butane fired manual, but it is virtually identical to the K-36 manual almost word for word. There is nothing special about the K-28.

The only thing I'll add about the K-28 is that the small side smokebox door makes it impossible to see if the second burner is lit or not. What I do is use a little dental mirror that lets me peek in through the air hole on the burner from the cab to see if it is lit or not. Other than that little quirk, it's really no different than any other butane fired engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its curious that the website no longer has the butane fired manual, but it is virtually identical to the K-36 manual almost word for word. There is nothing special about the K-28.

The only thing I'll add about the K-28 is that the small side smokebox door makes it impossible to see if the second burner is lit or not. What I do is use a little dental mirror that lets me peek in through the air hole on the burner from the cab to see if it is lit or not. Other than that little quirk, it's really no different than any other butane fired engine.
Thanks, guess I’ll download the K-36. I called and was told to just use the coal fired manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just acquired a butane fired K 28. Love this beast, and got on the Accucraft website to download a manual. The only options are electric and coal-fired. Does anybody have a digital copy of a butane fired manual?
I asked Ashcraft a couple of times with no response
I went through the same thing a few months ago. I wound up asking Channing Chen during a community Zoom call. The K=series was before his time, but he said that if it wasn't on the legacy site, chances were that it was one of the few that they'd never gotten around to writing a manual for.

I would have suggested d/l'ing the K-27 manual, but the suggestion to use the K-36 manual is probably just as valid. As for lighting it off, Cliff Luscher recommended using one of those flexible 'sparky' lighters to get in front of the 'hidden' flue and light that one first; the turbulence from the flame in the other flue can cause difficulties. I've tried this, and using the sparker has ignited both burners every time -- at least so far.

Mine is #475 -- Green boiler, DRGW. Which one is yours?

P.S. Dang it.. I tried to 'reply' from a notification last week, and the site wound up registering me again as 'new.' Apparently, replying from a notification uses this new registration. I'm Gary Woolard; been here for a decade. Does anybody know how to just 'kill' this registration?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Something not mentioned in the manuals that occurs on the big twin burner Accucraft models is if you notice it runs a little sluggish with more regulator needed and the pressure is down a bit, that's when one of the burners has "dropped out". You will need to stop and relight the burner again through the little smokebox door, this only happens very occasionally with mine but worth keeping an ear to the sound when turning the burners right down with a light load.
Russell

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went through the same thing a few months ago. I wound up asking Channing Chen during a community Zoom call. The K=series was before his time, but he said that if it wasn't on the legacy site, chances were that it was one of the few that they'd never gotten around to writing a manual for.

I would have suggested d/l'ing the K-27 manual, but the suggestion to use the K-36 manual is probably just as valid. As for lighting it off, Cliff Luscher recommended using one of those flexible 'sparky' lighters to get in front of the 'hidden' flue and light that one first; the turbulence from the flame in the other flue can cause difficulties. I've tried this, and using the sparker has ignited both burners every time -- at least so far.

Mine is #475 -- Green boiler, DRGW. Which one is yours?

P.S. Dang it.. I tried to 'reply' from a notification last week, and the site wound up registering me again as 'new.' Apparently, replying from a notification uses this new registration. I'm Gary Woolard; been here for a decade. Does anybody know how to just 'kill' this registration?
Mine is 478. Bought one of those lighters. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I had a slight problem with the two burners on the AML K4. Since then I use a Piezo igniter for all my locos. Sold as a replacement kit for BBQ. Slide the tip down the flue, has a nice heat resistant covering, clip the other side to a bare pipe in the cab, one click and flame. Works great with ceramic burners.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts