G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tring to adjust my attitude at the moment. I just climbed out from under the new terminal removing all the station platforms simply because last nights test of Bubbas K-trouble engine was derailed.
Matter of fact about every 20ft or so something came off the track.
So if you come and think my track is perfect your wrong. So if you have a high dollar loco that you say my track needs fixed. then YOU can come a week early and go and adjust all the track to fit your engine.
My engines and trains and many of the club memebers runs fine.
So just keep that in mind.
thank you.
The thought of this being the last year has crossed my mind many times this month.
And remember NO PETS and I hate scale flanges.

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
I agree with you 100 percent. I have the same problem sometimes with out Guest with our Get-together and BBQ train runs. Our Group has no problems usually with there Eng's. Just the Guest sometimes..

I have re-leveled track and raised bridges to go under with there extend stacks and moved a few thing for wide tenders. Now not anymore.. I put to much in to my layout to change it.

One other thing is nothing against Batt. people running but they sometime don't watch the signals/blocks being most of our trains are track powered. They run the Signals and run in to back of other trains.... Not sure how you handle your R.R. blocks sys.

I don't think it an attitude adjustment Marty.. It just common sense. and ya our Kat's, Geese, Fish, Doves, Birds, and etc. don't like doggies or any other animals. .. laf.

Good Post. Are we haveing fun yet???/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I visited Marty's layout a couple of years ago. My traveling engine, a GP-9, ran just fine on his layout. I would suggest that if you want to be invited back, you be tolerant of a very nice, real world, layout.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Gawd, and I thought that *I* was the only one with a case of the azzz this year.

Here's the deal, Marty. Your layout, your track tolerance requirements.

If the finescale stuff won't or can't run on the NTCGRR, it ain't your problem, and shouldn't be your responsibility to fix it so they can. They shoulda brought a bigger flange...

Frankly, I think you do quite enough to ensure that your annual Battery Powered Steam Up Melt Down is fun for your guests, and if they have any complaints, well, "Thanks for stoppin' by..."

Or is that "bye"???

Hang tough, it'll be better in couple of weeks.

G

·
0 Posts
Jeeeeez... sounds like someone had a bad day on the RR,/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif dont worry Marty, tommarrows another day:Dtonight pick up a 6 pack and you'll never remember a thing HE HE HE:cool: JUST JOKING... but does that mean i cant bring my bigboy out to play?
Nick...

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
These kinds of problems are common on all model railroads, even indoor ones. Of course the problems are multiplied considerably by being outdoors. An occasional problem guest engine shouldn't be cause for grief on your part or the guest's. Just enjoy the fellowship and share your wonderful RR with your friends and guests. Try and remember that someone's expressed dismay at their equipment's failure doesn't necessarily mean criticsm of your work.

I welcome all guests to bring their own equipment to run on the POC if they wish. However I am definately not Mr. Smooth Track. So far everyone's locos have run pretty well with minimum problems, even a live steamer, but I have built the RR for me and will willingly share it and enjoy doing so but I won't rebuild it.

Marty I think the only realistic approach is the "what you see is what you get" approach. I think most everybody is reasonable enough to accept that.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Marty, don't stress the little stuff. Everything is little stuff. If it stresses you take a year off, either you will experience a tremendous load lifted meaning you should shut it down permanently, or you will miss it which means open it back up but cut out the "urgent unimportant" stuff that gets on your nerves.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is that time of the month, hehehe
I was so happy to take photos of bubbas loco on the new line . But when it took 15 min just to get the dang engine to the location and then have it derail on the newly layed track. I was sooo disoppinted.
Then with the new terminal , everyone asks, what if you have a derailment. I say you won't. the K-36 goes in and barly makes it out.
This weekend my goal is to finish the 60 some feet of the new line. So we'll see.
My busness always seems to get busier around the time I need to be off checking stuff.

But I know after the open house I get pupped and change a bunch of stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
PUPPED?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif How does one get pupped?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Marty....something i learned from my HO days on the club layout:

THE PRICE OF THE LOCOMOTIVE DIRECTLY RELATES TO THE AMOUNT OF PROBLEMS YOU WILL HAVE WITH IT!

I always ran Athearn locomotives (pre-Genesis)...why? They were rugged and reliable, the best thing you could buy for traveling layout service. A buddy ran old Life Like and Bachmann locos for the same reason. A fellow club member ran Brass and always gave us a hard time about our CHEAP locos. Well his brass couldn't negotiate switches, always derailed for no reason, was overly sensative to power and dirty track. All the while our CHEAP locos went round and round.

Just remember, people pay good money for those derailments and problems, they deserve to have them./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
hehe Last fall, first time I met a switch, the pilot truck of my Annie came apart :D

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Hay Marty I may give you a hard time sometimes but its all in fun. Like most said its your RR your trains and they run fine. Same here I run my RR and maintain it to my standards for my pleasure. I'm sure not going to redo track for some loco that keeps derailing that belongs to some one else/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif Looking forward to a great time next week. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Hmmm..... I kinda feel sorry for Bubba! (No, I completely agree that you shouldn't have to guarantee that your line will work for everything!) Here he has a really nice, expensive, brass K-36 and the bloody thing keeps derailing! Moreover, it keeps derailing on a pike that is perfectly acceptable for most locomotives and rolling stock! Yep, it's an unfortunate truth but there is a dark side to "finescale!" My AMS coaches have all been retrofitted with (*gasp!*) LGB roller bearing wheel sets specifically because of the larger flanges! I may love the look of prototypical finescale but I'm a realist and reliability and runability trumps prototypicality (is that a word?) every time! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Kevin, I presume grabbing a copy of that notice is okay? I like it. Nick

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Marty i wont be able to make it but i will be running my Accucraft engiines with there fine scale flanges at my house where i dont have derailments. Fn3 all the way !!!!

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Only a week to go! Marty, it doesn't make any difference to me if your track is 100% or 30% or whatever. I'm just looking forward to the time off, looking at all the goodies, wandering around the track, and having great fellowship with a great bunch Garden Railroaders.

Rule # 1:

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Rule # 2:

It's ALL small stuff.

See ya in a week.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts