G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the dry spell on updates..

A) I've been very busy at work..
B) It's the middle of the cycling season and I've been out an about at a few events.
and
C) I've been busy runnin' trains !!! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

When last I reported I believe I had posted photos of the completed phase 1, the elevation of the old line.. as a reminder..it look's like this.

Over the last few days I've had some time to build out some more frames and I got the first two frames of the new extension installed this morning...

To borrow a line for John Krakauer... We're going Into the Wild..

This will take the line behind the shop and follow the fenceline all along the back of the lot to a turnaround on the south east corner then double back....
Seeing as how I'm hosting the August club meeting, I need to stay busy on this for the next week or so...

Though you guys may like an update.. Again, sorry for the long dry spell.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks good!

I love the fact that it's elevated. Folks like me can't reach the floor anymore!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
RE: July Lone Peak & Western Update.

Dave looks good does it have good drainage for the plants?

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The draingae is almost too good Ron. Since the soil is only about 2" deep, and has 1/2' hardware cloth and landscape fabric on the bottom is dries out very quickly. I'm finding that to support ANY plants at all it needs to be SOAKED daily..

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yeah me ! More progress. I've placed the first two fames along the back fence line. So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing. Here's the photo update.

As shown at the top of this thread the line will exit the existing loop (seen on the far left below), come between the fence and the workshop and exit onto the new benchwork as shown here to the right of the shop door. I may build a tunnel portal there at some point in time.

View looking out the shop door. There will be a turnaround loop on the south end under the honeysuckle overhanging the fence.

Once I get the construction done, I better get busy getting the lawn in order..
All for now.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By Dave F on 07/13/2008 8:28 PM
The draingae is almost too good Ron. Since the soil is only about 2" deep, and has 1/2' hardware cloth and landscape fabric on the bottom is dries out very quickly. I'm finding that to support ANY plants at all it needs to be SOAKED daily..

Two words: Drought Tolerant

Gotta get plants that can handle being in dry soil.;)

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Already looking into it ....
Personally, I'm draught tolerant myself.. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
405 Posts

Dave how are you going to get back between fence and shed cause you know Murphy's law that is where the train will derail.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well.....

A) I have very good karma

that notwithstanding..

The area between the shop & fence widens toward the back. It's only 15" wide next to the door, but opens to about 3'6" in the rear. What I can't get to at arms length from the front, I can go around the back and reach.. plus my son is only 9 and can squeeze into just about anywhere.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts

Then again you could put hole in side of the shed and reach from there. For when the boy grows.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts

At this point a basic (projected) track plan would be helpful so we can see where you are going with all of this.   I see a great opportunity for a tunnel portal, but beyond that I can't see where the track will tie in with the exisiting framework.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

OK... Here's a rough trackplan Ron. not to scale and there will be (have been) a few modification as we move into the real world. But I think you can see how things will fit together..

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

Dave,

Lookin' good!! You're working so fast your RR will be longer than mine in no time!
Very nice for sure. Will you have space for a depot or something along the straightaway?

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

You betcha Richard, already in the works..

~2 Depots (one on each end)
~Coal terminal
~Merchandise loading dock
~Hobo's "Shanty Town"
~yard office and tower....

It may take a while to get there, but it'll happen...
Right now I'm just concentrating on getting everything up and runing by August 16th.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Dave, Where your train yard? For i can parking your track. Looking great dave.... I cant wait to see it /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif
Bryan

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Wow, lots of progress yesterday, too much as a matter of fact. I completed the run down the back fence-line and made the corner to begin the south turnaround loop. Thanks to our man Shad for a bit of commerce, he sold me a 10" circle of track to facilitate the trun, you'll see it in the photos. I made a bit too much progress in so far as i have run out of lumber. I'll need to make run to Homew Depot this week and get another 20 2x4's, that should finish us off. Then more hardware cloth & topsoil...then it's time to lay track!.. Lot's of it!... Yeah!

I also need to send out the MOW crews with some defoliant and arbor tools to cut back the honeysuckle overhanging the fence. All in good time.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By Dave F on 07/15/2008 1:19 PM

OK... Here's a rough trackplan Ron. not to scale and there will be (have been) a few modification as we move into the real world. But I think you can see how things will fit together..

I guess there is something to be said for the basic dogbone design. And I see that my trackplan vaguely resembles yours, except that I use a single line track and  have a much-more developed infrastructure (so far).  I assume that at some point you will be adding more complexity to your basic design.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Oh you bet. The plan I posted is just a rough outline of the mainline, there will be more than a few spurs, sidings, industrial leads and a RIP track in the yard.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Did a fair amount of work back in buggy corner this morning. (Buggy as in spiders, ants, and other assorted pests, not the "horse and" variety)..

I decked the framework leading off the main benchwork and installed a corner brace to accomadate the "new" turn in the mainline. I also repositioned the track to interface with the new benchwork. I won't (read as can't) be running on the north loop any more untill I complete the new mainline, I figure about 10 days or so. Thankfully I have two friends in the club with Train-Li trackbenders. I'll need to do a bit of tweaking to get everything aligned just so..

Todays Progress..

I'll keep you posted on developments.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts