G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today the temperature got up into the 60s.  Grandkids played in the yard [where it wasn't too wet from snowmelt] and Papa grilled on the BBQ.

It sure was good.  I sure blew my cutback on portions./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

JimC.

Sadly, it is supposed to snow again, tomorrow night.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Boy that sure looks good JC.  I especially like the looks of the veggies since I'm not a beef eater.

Been raining here of and on today.  Ugly day!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif  But we DO NEED the rain!!

Becky

·
Registered
170 Posts
Up here in the Great White North its 14 deg C (57 for you yanks) and a guy just jogged passed the house with his shirt off.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Oh man, does that look good!!! Where was my invite?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

Here in the North hoosierland, we made 66F today (Monday) and one forecast has the overnight low pegged at 62F. The grill is gonna be fired up tonight! :D

Craig

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Jim,

Looks yummy - Heather & I didn't even fire up the indoor grill this weekend. I know it's not the same, but I have spent many years outside grilling and smoking at 5ºF in December & January. I don't do that anymore. I hope the weatherman are wrong about the weather changing for the worst by the weekend because your post have given me the urge for some steaks or smoked turkey.

Herb

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
What do you mean "get it out"    I anint put it away yet:D  I fired it up to fix breadfast  this morning.  It was raining.   It was steaming like a K 27:D

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
The weather looked threatening yesterday. Tornados to the north. Lightning in the clouds. But it held off while I fixed my little ribeye on my tiny grill. Had it with nuclear potato and sugar peas. Good stuff!

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Jim,

Nice!!  I keep propane in the tank all year long.  We have the potential for grilling out 365!! (or 366 this year).  I need to get one of the veggie grilling pans like you have.  Is that a regular cookie sheet?

Mark

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mark,
Real men use charcoal :) The first path I shovel in the winter is to the grill, it is a year 'round tool. The veggie grilling sheets or baskets are great for keeping lots of things from slipping through the grates.

George

By the way this is my first post of the year, boy am I slacking.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
George,

Actually, real men it their steaks "Pittsburgh Rare".  I heard about this,  Pittsburgh steelworkers would take a steak to work for lunch and cook it on hot ingots as they were cooling.  Actually, cooking it involved searing both sides. 

I use the weber gas grill which has three burners.  I cook using the front and rear burners, and cook on the middle.  The result is excellent temperature control with flavor results like what I get out of the charcoal grill.  The charcoal grill does not offer the control the gas does.  We even put wood chips in an aluminum pan with water and smoked some ribs this summer on the gas grill.  Excellent!! 

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
My grill is stored at the front of my garage. Every Friday I open the door, roll it out and grill a couple of steaks. This has been our end of the work week tradition for more than 30 years. Some fried mushrooms and onions, crusty rolls, Caesar salad and a bottle of Beaujolais. TGIF! :D

One miserably cold February Friday a number of years back a stiff wind was blowing straight in out of the Arctic. Not deterred I cracked the front door and rolled the grill to the back door. The draft was enough to push the smoke out of the garage without me freezing my tail off.

We are also enjoying the January thaw after a month and a half of snow. Today is windy and about 0C (32F), mild for January in this neck of the woods. There are actually bare spots showing in the lawns and the grass is still green as snow is a good insulator. I was surprised however to find a strawberry plant in the corner of the garden still up and green after being buried in two feet of snow. Kind of gives me hope that there is life after winter.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Mom used to use the grill quite a bit.

It would be 10 below, and Mom would say, "Tom, go out and start a fire." The covered grill worked well even at those temperatures. Used the coffee can technique for starting the charcoal and that worked well in the cold too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts