G Scale Model Train Forum banner
261 - 274 of 274 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I was offered a complete Wagon Lits consist, when one of our members deceased. The restaurant coach I like the best, with it's table lamps. I had seen them running through the years behind a PLM 231 A. At least with only 3m radius curves, the loco really struggled. Also, perhaps there are upgraded trucks with ball bearings for the coaches?

For me, I found them inspiring to perhaps build my own coaches one day, using lighter materials. And the very simple fake spring design, is clever. Because I have to admit, that looking at distance, they make a good enough and impressive impression.

·
Registered
182 Posts
When Exclusive Models (Bram Hengeveld) took over the manufacturing of J&M coaches from John Waggott he changed the truck design with ball bearings. Also the newly available J&M sleepers from Accucraft have ball bearings. All my J&M coaches are made by John Waggott and they need some power to get round the track, but a good locomotive can handle that.
The U1 can easily handle 4 J&M coaches with as a fifth the also not very easy running sleeper I constructed from an Amati kit.
Regards
Fred

·
Registered
313 Posts
My Aster Chapelon Nord gets wheelslip at six J&M coaches unless the track is really clean and then it can pull eight. It probably can take more but for the wheelslip and from I have seen the U1 doesn't seem to have the same wheelslip problems and can easily pull more than that, but the J&M coaches are very heavy even though I fitted bearings to all wheels and changed the pesky couplings that can break under load.
Russell

·
Registered
690 Posts
Russel the reason the Chapelon slips more is that there isn't the locomotive type firebox to counterballance the excessive weight of the four cylinders up front. What the solution to that problem is (unless you get another boiler with a real firebox) is to fill the belpair shrouding with lead and also inside the ash pan. You will love the result.

While we are on the subject of J&M coaches weight, it is a good case in point to remark that my NORD Atlantic which could not handle my four J&M pullmans and two baggage cars on my former layout with small curves (R = 3 meter 30) now handles them in style at track speed on large radius curves of 6 meter 50 radius. I would think this is why you can't haul more than four J&M's Fred. The U1 is an extremly powerful engine. Here it hauls four Neil Rose nord coaches (just as heavy as J&M) plus one J & M diner two marklin DRG and my scratch built Lx, and two aluminum OCEM,'s by JVR and my Nord B11 and an OCEM baggage in aluminum and I wasn't trying to make a record, just a representation of the NORD express. Which these handled often.
Ah the joys of large radius: Enjoy!

Plant Natural landscape Land lot Building Slope

Land lot Grass Brickwork Tree Landscape

Best, Simon

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks Simon, I will investigate putting weight on the back end of my Chapelon, that's a good idea I hadn't thought of as it is very front end heavy. That Nord Atlantic sure looks good and that U1 with a nice long train on those beautiful large curves is fantastic.
Unfortunately, like Fred, I don't have the room for large curves so smaller 6 or 7 coach trains is my maximum but I do like seeing your new layout and what make is the 2D2 in the background on the first image? Are you going to put up some catenary and run real electric engines then swap to steam, you could do that with your Pennsy trains too. I would like to see a close up image of your Nord Atlantic and that 2D2 sometime.
Russell

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hi Russel: That 2D2 9100 is scratch built by me in brass. It is very powerfull having four nose hung Maxon motors with module 0,5 brass gears. It doesn't have a true Büchli transmition like the Fulgurex one as I didn't feel good enough of a machinist to make one, besides I wanted it to be a workhorse and though that this transmition would be too fragile outdoors. I exhibited it at Expometrique the ancestor of Rail Expo about twenty years ago right next to the Fulgurex stand, the year after they came out with their much finer model... I do plan to use overhead wires on the wye between the indoor terminus and the layout, as I like making catenary, with an engine change at the junction with the mains. As it was a bit lonely amongst my NORD stuff and Modelbex was at last offering a CC7100, I bought one so I can give a fair representation of the Paris- Lyon - Marseille line in its heyday. I was modeling the PLM and changed because JVR coinvinced me that the NORD had a much more brilliant motive power staff. of course at that time I was living on an erea served by the NORD. But I traveled so many times on the old PLM main line that I am attached to it. I often rode the postal train which made all stops between Laroche Migennes and Lyon, and left Paris at midnight then backed up to the postal terminal before taking the main, it was hauled by these. Also on the Simplon Orient express. That line used to be very impressive with trains every three minutes on its four tracks right through the night in the late sixties i tried to sleep in an old abandoned Block station along the right of way but couldn't because of the intense traffic? this is why the SNCF did the TGV line because it was reaching saturation.
Train Window Vehicle Rolling stock Automotive lighting

This engine can haul 16 J&M cars without problems. (except with steel replacement hooks for the couplers)
Train Plant Vehicle Wood Rolling stock

·
Registered
313 Posts
Great model you made there Simon, I like the older electric locomotives and the CC7100 is very good too. You rarely see overhead catenary on a garden railway especially using steam and electric such as 2D2 swapping with a 231K or 241P that really gets the imagination going. I have a liking for the BB12000 and CC14000 series centre cab electrics of the Nord and Est as well.
I can also see you also doing a run with a Penssy GG1 electric swapping with say a steam K4 Pacific when you are in American mode of operation. Great layout with great possibilities.
Russell

·
Registered
690 Posts
Originally I had planned to electrify with catenary the wye which links the indoor terminus with the main line. However it turns out that the short loco siding or pocket that I wanted to install near both junctions of the wye with the main in order to store the electric motor, while the live steam loco couples on to the train, is problematic. There is not enough concrete base where I would install these short sidings. I will probably get to it when the rest of the layout is finnished, as there is still a lot to do before I can get to that.
It is out of the question to electrify the main as I like hands on operation of live steamers. Even with radio control you still have to fuel up oil around and water up and catenary would definitly be in the way.
The CC 7100 is not my build but a Modelbex model recently released, I used to love those engines as a child on the line to Aix les Bains, the nice thing with it too is that a few where equiped with third rail shoes in order to climb from Chambery to Modane and the Mont Cenis tunnel, So although mine is not the correct number, they were seen running with the pans down.
I find the BB 12000 and the CC 14000 very interesting prototypes also.
Of course the Pennsy had the GG1 which is my all time favourite electric loco.
Best, Simon
Train Plant Vehicle Rolling stock Track

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for the photo Simon, the GG1 is the most attractive electric loco appreciated around the world for it's styling and installing catenary on the whole layout would be problem when running live steam but at least your loco's are true to their power source; steam engines run on steam and electrics by electric power. A great layout.
Russell

·
Registered
690 Posts
Although this isn't really anywhere near the subject of this thread I thought folks might want to know what I did to this MTH GG1 to make it more realistic and felt that making a new thread wouldn't be worth it : It was the engine that made me go to modeling US prototypes because it was well proportionned and yet at an affordable price (back in 2009) and I had known the prototype well :
First I lowered the body onto the chassis, this was a fairly easy job using the router attachement to my dremel to keep the distance of the milling tool at the correct depth of cut from the body side, I simply milled down the tabs into which the screws hold the body to the frame.
Second I decided to turn down the flanges on the otherwise well detailed drivers and pony wheels; of course this requires the aid of a lathe.
Third I fitted it with Kadee scale couplers (the short draw gear works fine).
Fourth I filed down the pantographs to about one half of their thickness. This is a very tedious job done by hand, it takes forever because the steel used is very tough, which on the other hand keeps the pantograph sturdy which in outdoor use is a plus) That way although the real pans are tubular it at least has the right proportions and it improves the aspect of the loco enormously. I
blackened them after filing. This photo showsthis very well. The cars are Davids very own PRR prototype drawing cars.

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Track
Train Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Window

I unfortunatly kept the pick up shoes as the MTH wheels are made from a lousy aloy for pick up and with the adhesion tires only one driver really takes the current. If I had operated with overhead wires I could supress this ugly feature. By the way as this loco runs a great deal, I fitted brass slippers over the pick up shoes which I replace now and then, saving the purchase of the pricey new shoes, as MTH doesn't make these any more it is a very useful tip for prolonging the life of these pick up shoes.
I have also converted one of the 4-6-0 chassis to be rigid with the pilot as per prototype ? this works OK and I will eventually do the other that way too. I use bicycle inner tubes cut with scisors to make new traction tires when needed. Of course if I lived in the USA and could just go to the local Hobby shop and get these , I probably wouldn't have bothered. These photos date back to 2010 when the Gee was new and the coaches had just been built and painted. These David Leech coaches and the Gee have run up thousands of scale miles since.

261 - 274 of 274 Posts