G Scale Model Train Forum banner
241 - 260 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Thanks Fred,

I enjoyed your video as well. Nice train.

Here is the link for the original listing:

Ebay, Sold NYC "Liberty Hall"

I have documentation on hand as well and one wonders about how this version came to be?

By the way, I have borrowed a number of original J&M catalog cut sheets from the UK and I have scanned them and put them into PDF format.

I also have a copy of a 32-page color Gauge One America catalog that I bought on Amazon and I've scanned it but I have not made the time to recompile the scans into an e-catalogue.

Anyone who has J&M catalog information and who is willing lend it to me for scanning and return of the original will get copies of all that I have on hand sent via email.

Please don't post here, but please do send a private message if you'd care to do so.

Cheers,

Joe ;)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hi fellows: After a move to southern France in 2019 and a few month in the hospital for a Myeloma I am back and kicking again. I have built a new layout with very wide curves no grades and where most of it is at table top height. It features a four track mainline across a representation of Rockville bridge and Horseshoe curve, this created the much needed long siding for 50 car freights. Half of the layout will have a PRR theme and te other half a French Nord theme. Yesterday I was overjoyed because one of the main reasons for going to larger radius curves was in the hope that my NORD Atlantic made by JVR would be able to haul my representation of what was probably the greates luxury train in Europe: The two day trains from Paris to Brussels and Amsterdam named Etoile du Nord and Oiseau Bleu. These two trains were hauled from Paris Nord to Brussels by the Nord atlantics right up untill WW 2. Lately I had very bad runs with the Atlantic and when I steamed it for the first time here the other day whith my friend Chris Ludlow, not only was it sluggish but it limped. This on afterthought led me to check the valve timing and sure enough one of the stop collars had come loose. With a little air it was set right again and yesterday I made another test. This time it propulsed the four J&M pullmans and two baggage cars around in style at track speed for four laps and a half, not bad for a loco without water level and excentric water pump. the new track being 99 meters long that breaks out at 3 scale kilometers. I pumped her up again two times and did 14 laps of the pike. I took out some Nord signals I have made for atmosphere on the viaduct. The barn in the background is actually a neighbour and should be for sale in a few months.

So I am glad that this effort to make a new layout with wide curves has paid off and that now this atlantic can haul this historic train. Now I must find an Etoile du Nord second class pullman and hopefully make a trade with a golden arrow one that I have. Watch this space for more photos of the new pike.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes welcome back, and what a layout ! I love the big curves and the height ( good for old backs) that Atlantic is one loco that I lust over as it has great looks and perfect for the train you want to replicate. I wish Aster would do one as my scratch build skills are limited. Please submit some more images of your layout sometime and the trains you run on it.
Russell

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I would love to have several heavyweights that I could repaint GN for my S2 and I would have David Leech make replacement trucks so they would roll better. Instead I am repainting some Aristocraft heavyweights, yes I know they are not the correct scale but too bad. What's needed is someone to make heavyweights for 1/3 that price. No, you're not crazy. If this was crazy none of us would be in this hobby, you spent how much for a toy train? I know you've all heard this.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sam, I have 9 Aristocraft coaches that I have repainted, put GN graphics on and changed them to body mount KD couplers with working diaphragms (David Leech), LED lighting using a 9V battery with the original switch and ball bearings on the side frames so they roll perfectly. Two of them are Pullman sleepers which all I had to do was put the ball bearings in them. The USA Trains are 1/29 and the Aristocraft are less than half the price and between 1/30 and 1/31 scale. So if I put people in them, at the most I will say each car cost an extra $100 over what I paid for them. (not the Pullmans as I didn't have to paint them or re-decal them) They make a great consist behind my Aster S2. OK, they are all the same length which I know is wrong and yes they are not the correct scale, but it's my train and I will run what I want. :>)

·
Premium Member
6,448 Posts
Why is this thread from 2014 showing up now. Nedds to be put back to bed.
Sheesh, Noel. You are getting as curmudgeonly as Fred.

The thread is 12 pages long, and before its recent resurrection it was alive in 2018. M. Du-Bousquetaire said just above
After a move to southern France in 2019 and a few month in the hospital for a Myeloma I am back and kicking again.
And considering that Accucraft is now selling J&M coaches, the thread may be quite useful.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Over on the thread about Spectrum loco brushes you berated the new guy and demanded his real name. I didn't think it was too friendly :( Sorry to offend.
I had not written anything in the Spectrum loco brushes thread (and have thus not berated any new guy) but have posted in this J&M thread; there is more than one Fred and they are not all, if any, curmudgeonly.
Regards
Fred

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi Simon. Where is your post, I did see some of your earlier posts/pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Hi Simon. Where is your post, I did see some of your earlier posts/pictures.
Dan,
He was probably still working on it when you looked.
I am sure you have now found it:
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why is this thread from 2014 showing up now. Nedds to be put back to bed.
Well I've just discovered this thread today and I've just spent an absolutely facinating couple of hours reading through it.

I found it particularly relevant with the reintroduction of the J and M range by Exclusive Models/Accucraft and the Golden Age models by Greenwood and Pring.

It's just unfortunate that a lot of the images from the earlier posts are no longer visible.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
In my view, the J&M coaches are very crude models. And as usual, brass rolling stuff is very heavy. Very wide curves, and absolutely level track are necessary. So personally, I don't like them much. I want a train to be able to start rolling, without a manual push to the trainset.

241 - 260 of 274 Posts