G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
BRO

Have you actually ever seen any Kern Valley 1:32 heavyweights? I have seen ZERO. I have seen one car in 1:29 many years ago. A friend [now deceased] ordered EIGHT heavyweights and put down a substantial deposit. After TWO YEARS he had NOTHING. Took another several months to get the deposit back after determining they had NEVER started to build the cars.

In my book a poor choice.

That said, I do own two Kern valley 1:32 PRR B60B baggage cars. Overpriced, but the only thing in the market. I bought them off the table at an ECLSTS.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Dan

Kern Valley's pricing for heavyweights has risen to the point that their resin cars [based in part on the old American Standard Car Co. kits] are at the same price point as used J&M American heavyweights [$500 to $750].

Used J&M cars are good value in the $450-$600 range.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
David

I agree with your assessment of the J&M stock, but in 1:32 the options for American heavyweights are limited. I did trade up from J&M to Golden Age British Pullmans [11] over a period of time. Quentin uses a Korean builder that [he claims] requires batches of 90 [or more] units for a production run. This is why there are no 5BEL sets in Ga 1 yet.

Even if Accucraft could be induced to build heavyweights with a reasonable level of detail, I would expect them to be in the $850-$1000 range.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
On the Ebay.de site two Southern Pacific J&M coaches that I have been watching sold over the weekend.

The SP Diner sold for $1,464.20 (converted from Euro.)

The SP 1203 heavyweight sold for $1,873.90 (also converted from Euro.)

============

I believe the SP 1203 is NOT J&M, clearly not a heavyweight. It is a 60 foot Harriman coach, probably produced by Finescale Locomotive Co of Marlboro Wilts UK.

Typically very good brass models with full interior. IIRC they produced a coach, combine, and baggage car in at least three different SP liveries.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
JOE

I have been asked to post on this thread that some J&M American cars WILL be available at DH. They WILL NOT be on the "bring and buy" stand. Look for a FOR SALE notice on the bulletin board. It will have contact information for the seller.

I have not identified the seller at his request.

IF you are not attending and are interested I suggest you contact an attendee and ask them to act in your behalf.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
David / Joe

AFIK the seller is ALREADY at Diamondhead and the cars are in his possession. So Joe's "agent" from New York can check out the board for the info. Sitting in VA, I am not in a good position to facilitate this transaction [if it were to occur]. Besides, Joe's agent [or whomever] should inspect them before purchase.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Joe
Got your PM...did you get my response? I can never tell if it was actually sent.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
The only SP heavyweight J&M cars I have seen are the NYC ones Alan Redeker relettered to run as part of his San Joaquin Daylight.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Joe

The "tail sign" in the image above is exactly like a railroad pin I have. I suspect that is what it is made from.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Jason

Gary Kohs sales company was [is ?] Marketing Corporation of America. This company predates his founding of Fine Art Models. in the 1980s, MCA was a dealer [or agent] for John Gummo's first company, Gauge One America. Gummo commissioned the Aster PRR K4 and NYC Hudson. He commissioned J&M to do the PRR and NYC heavyweights as well as the round roof box cars. The cars with the air conditioning duct work were built by J&M; your customer bought them through MCA. I am reasonably sure that they were not modified by MCA. The workmanship is far too crude.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Joe

When the Sunday excursion service was "steam hauled" it was because an extra 5-BEL was unavailable and regular Pullman parlor cars were used.

I commend to you any and all of the four volumes on British Pullmans authored by Antony Ford.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Joe

You should consider that last set that Quentin has for sale before it disappears. I don't think many came to North America.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
David

At current exchange rates GBP 6400 is only $9,240 US, but $11,880 CAN
I paid somewhat less given that I purchased two sets, and only three weeks ago the exchange rate was more favorable to me.

I can appreciate that you can build your own, but for us mortals of model building; if you want something, you go to whomever is building it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts