G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
836 Posts
Yes Fred this is the locomotive that JVR built, it is quite historic as it has I beleive the first type B boiler and one of his first engines with two inside cylinders. ( JVRs Dutch 4-4-0 might have been the first though) He turned around the problem of the very small outside HP cylinders which are right over the rear of the front Bogie, by using four single acting cylinders, as he did not know how to make scale gland boxes. These are fed by two inside slide valves. Since this a very gifted british friend of us both, John Butler has been able to manufacture scale glads on his Du Bousquet Nord 4-6-0 D, his work is art. I think Bram has the Dutch 4-4-0.
I doubt that you would have bought it as he gave it to me as a form of inheritance (He had no children unfortunatly). He had promissed it to me. But at his funeral I did not talk to his wife Joceleyn about it feeling it would have been inapropriate. A few month later she called me and told me she had something for me and to come and get it in Uzes. Which I did, being extremly admirative of this brilliant prototype. One of Frances school of loco design star locomotive. copied by 5 french railways; German, British and even the Pennsylvania railroad (the famous "French Aristocrat"). I have done some restoration work on it: New meth tank as the original one was made of tinplate and had rusted through.,I redid the cylinder packing for better performance. I did some touch ups on the paint and detailed the lantern as well as install a cinema, but did no other detailing work as it was one of his finest models. I often hope that werever John and Joceleyn are they can see it run now with the Oiseau Bleu pullman consist, which John took with his father as a youth.

Pauli One has to make choices in life. You can't have it all, but if you think things out and plan well it all comes together. I use 4 meter 40 minimum radius turnouts to not have any buffer locking (even on crossovers). However in my indoor terminus I use 2 meter 30 Märklin points for the US engine terminal (no buffers) and on the runaround track, to save time having to make them. I make most of my turnouts because these radiusses are not available in code 215. You can also mix different code size rails with junction rails (you file the top of the bigger rail and solder to it the smaller one. I have three sizes (my original code 195 rail (french made and on Cofermi track), code 215 Marklin on the main line and some code 225 rail on Tenmille flat bottom track (not manufactured any longer unfortunatly) their turnouts were just right as minimum radius for no buffer locking. Peco are too short. I know this from experience on a layout that had some and every time a passenger consist went through the crossovers we had a derailment !
Happy building.

· Registered
251 Posts
I doubt that you would have bought it as he gave it to me as a form of inheritance (He had no children unfortunatly). He had promissed it to me. But at his funeral I did not talk to his wife Joceleyn about it feeling it would have been inapropriate. A few month later she called me and told me she had something for me and to come and get it in Uzes.
I do not know what you mean by "I doubt....." . As I said it was offered to me, that is why I have the pictures, and I did not buy it.
Regards
Fred

· Registered
202 Posts
I beleive that Bram has had Accucraft manufacture these to bring the cost down and to improve the original design somewhat (lighter, more detailed etc), he told me recently that he expected the dining car to be released also but apparently this has yet to happen.
Best, Simon
When I bought my last J&M/Accucraft sleeper from the Accucraft UK agent on 28/07/2020 - I was told that the J&M dining car and the fourgon baggage car would be available shortly .... :unsure:

Now that the ownership of Exclusive Models has passed to Remco Vegting (according to a post I saw on FB) and their new website.....

www.exclusivemodels.nl

.....appears to be in an early stage of development with no mention of the J&M CIWL items as of today - I'm not hopeful that these items will be available any time soon.

· Registered
836 Posts
Yes when I spoke to Bram Hengerfeld lately, he confirmed that this project (at least the diner ) was in the pipeline, but that it hadn't been produced yet by Accucraft for reasons unknown. (Most probably due to the pandemic). lets hope it does soon as well as those US freight cars they tentively announced a few years ago: Gondolas, tank cars and stock cars, all very much wanted for those who like 1/32 scale.
It would also be very nice if they made some heavyweights, although there has been no communication about this from them.
Cheers, du-Bousquetaire

21 - 26 of 26 Posts