G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheap pine wood nailed together. Sure pine isn't the preferable wood to build a bridge for outdoor use, but why waste money on expensive wood when building your first bridge that is just a temporary bridge anyway.
Stained and ready for a used crank case oil bath to slow the deterioration.
Having your first try at building bridges be a curved bridge is probably not preferable. But it's what I needed.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Nice touch. Looks good and as you say why waste time and money now on a temp bridge. It gets the job done. Later RJD

·
Registered
100 Posts
One step at a time....gotta start somewhere Now you have the feel for what is needed, what is next? I just know you want to build that huge one
Go for Redwood or Red Cedar if you can for a permanent one outside....I know the Pine was just for a test build.

Garry NCGRR

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
I like it. It looks right. There is nothing wrong with pine. If maintained, it will last for years.

Good work, Bob

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By xo18thfa on 02/03/2009 10:52 PM
I like it. It looks right. There is nothing wrong with pine. If maintained, it will last for years.

Except when sitting in a high humidity environment like directly over a swimming pool. Even cedar would have a tough time. Try NeverRot TrimPlank (cellular pvc) or TufBoard (cellular urethane) for version 2. Now that you have a template it will be a snap to make.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I built a bridge like that. Even put water under it.

Was a cool feature of my short-lived layout.

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions Brian. I've noted the two types of material and will look at using one of them possibly for a future project

1 - 7 of 7 Posts