Posted By Semper Vaporo on 03/15/2009 7:46 PM
Hey, Les, you're a 1st class member... you can start a poll, so since it is your question you get to start it.
Although I think you have two separate subjects here... where is your layout and do you scratch build.
Of course, you need to really think out what possible selections you present in the poll...
Like the one for "Where is your layout":
1. Don't have one, don't want one.
2. Don't have one, will build one someday.
3. Had one (or more), but it (they) is (are) now gone, no plans to rebuild.
4. Had one (or more), but it (they) is (are) now gone, plan to rebuild
5. Building one inside now.
6. Building one outside now.
7. Have an outdoor one, building an indoor one now.
8. Have an indoor one, building an outdoor one now.
9. Indoor only.
10. Outdoor only.
11. Both and connected together.
12. Both but not connected together.
That makes 12 possible selections.... uh no, uh...
Hmmm... should you include selections based on elevation?
You'd have to make selections 2 through 10 each to be 3 selections each (i.e.:
2. Don't have one, will build one someday that is elevated.
3. Don't have one, will build one someday that is ground level
4. Don't have one, will build one someday that is both ground level and elevated.
That makes 30 possible selections, but the last 2 (11. & 12) will become:
outside elevated - inside not,
outside not, inside is,
outside both elevated and ground level - inside elevated,
outside both elevated and ground level - inside floor level,
outside elevated - inside both elevated and floor level
outside ground - inside both elevated and floor level
So that makes 8 each for them, now there are 46 possible selections...
Oh wait, then there is the possibility of an elevated line being waist level or overhead, both inside and outside... I wonder how many selections a poll can have before the server barfs?
Then, of course, you need answers to keep the wags from complaining...
39. I don't understand this poll.
40. I don't answer polls.
41. I always lie on polls.
42. I don't care.
44. Mary had a little shoe.
45. None of the above.
46. All of the above.
(Be sure you get the last two in that order just for the conflict it creates!)
Hello Semper.... ummm once again you challenge me to your wit...
ummm re polls: Lets start with what one calls a core survey:
"Do you enjoy G-scale or 1-gauge railroading and do you have any layouts/equipment?"
Now that is basic. Based on results build to the next question. Call this a process.
Keep the survey simple with one liners. People will respond especially if you give them stats on the original question.
This is a social event, non scientific and for fun. People will participate. The problem here is that this type of survey would be conducted on a forum dedicated to large scale railroading....
Skewed results maybe?