G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But we're still around. Did ya miss us?!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif I haven't been online much in the last few weeks and mostly just to check my e-mail. I can't believe how little free time we have now with the little one! Jason is growing up fast and already trying to walk(he takes up to 4 steps) and talk(says about 4 or 5 words). Yolanda and him are both doing well except allergies here have been bad lately. 

I am doing better now but had an accident recently that I am still recovering from. On March 1st we were displaying our old hit and miss engines at a local antique car swap meet with our club. I had just bought a new(old) engine a couple of weeks prior and was trying to get it tuned to run slowly. I was turning the engine over manually watching the point where it tripped the magneto and forgot about where my right hand was. My hand was on the flywheel and rolled around and got pinched between the flywheel and the wooden skid the engine sits on. After a trip to urgent care we were back at the show to watch my father and fellow club members get my engine fixed and running good. My hand is recovering well and I should be back to normal in a few more weeks. The injuries were a compound fracture to my middle fingertip and a pretty chewed up ring finger. My index and pinky finger escaped any bloodshed but were a little tender for a few days. Everything is looking good now though and I am down to band aids covering the wounds. 

I have been pretty depressed about the injury as I had several projects I had planned to start before the accident happened. It kills me not to be able to do much. I am still on regular duty at work but after getting home my hand is usually sore and I don't feel like doing anything. That's been a big part of why I haven't got online lately too. Things are looking better now and I hope to be around more now.

Steve

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Yea whats normal for you Steve????:D
Glad its getting better really. Had an accident myself in early Jan. that gave me a 40% dislocated spine./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif
Are you still going to Duncan's MLS get toghther in May. Hope to see you Y and da kid there.
Roland

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
VERY GOOD to hear from you folks!

Very SAD to hear of the injury! Who ever said hobbies were safe? LOL!

Very NICE to hear the the little one is growing leaps and bounds! LOL! Or is that step by step?

Chas

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Enjoy your son!

This place is a distant second.

Oh, yea, we like pictures of kids too:D

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Steve,

Sorry to hear about your injury.  Glad that it wasn't more serious.  It is also good to see you posting here again, too.  

You mean to tell me that kids get to be more work?  Rats. Here I thought that once he could walk, Luke'd be on his own (he's just 4.5 months old!).  Kidding!! 

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Wait until you are sick/injured and both little ones are sick too!

Doctor appointment today for both little ones. Dance classes for both girls that mommy can't take them to. Ah such is the life of a parent. Would trade those "Daddy, I love you" hugs for the world though! Not yet anyway.

Chas

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Steve,

It's great to see you back again. Sorry about your injury. It does take time. New Years Eve 2005, I was removing Christmas lights from a tree in front of our house. AND I just happened to miss a rung of the ladder on the way down and fell. Broke my pelvis in two places! I'm STILL sore and it just seems to take forever to heal. There are so many projects that I can't do now and it's frustrating. Enjoy your son-that's where the happiness is!:D:D

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Sorry to hear about your injury Steve but we're glad to see you back here! Don't sweat the downtime too much! You still have plenty of time for projects!;)

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Good to hear from you again. Been a long time. Sounds like that new engine of yours is female. I always told my daughters that if a guy's hand got somewhere it shouldn't be, they should .... Well, this is a train site...

Hope to see you and Y and J at the BTS...

·
Just another old guy
786 Posts
Hi Steve,

Like everyone else, glad to hear your on the mend.  Having more time (whether or not by choice) to spend with the family sounds like a good thing, especially when they are so little.  I can't believe Grace is already half growed up./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

Tommy:cool:
Rio Gracie

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Ouch! that really sucks but a broken finger is better than broken metacarpels, heals easier, had a friend break metacarpel bones in a bike accident and they took forever to heal and he had to wear a special brace the entire time and couldnt use his hand for anything, writing, eating even driving was a PITA.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Steve!  That sounds like it was painful!  Hope it heals quickly.  Looking forward to seeing the three of you soon, whether it is in May or June.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, it's good to be back! I'll try to keep up on things but in the last couple of months our connection speeds have seriously dropped. It takes forever to just check in on a few forums and if a post is picture heavy I have to sometimes skip it as it won't open. Need to look into what options might now be available in our area. We are pretty limited as we live in the country and a ways off the road.

Roland, we are still trying to make it to Duncan's shindig but not sure. I have to be in New Jersey for business the week of April 21-25 and not sure when my travel days are yet. We will for sure be at the BTS in June though!

My hand is getting better by the day and my fingers are starting to look like normal fingers again. I just don't know if I am on the downhill side of things yet. I still have some swelling and bruising not to mention pain. I'm just taking it one day at a time and celebrating small victories like getting a glove on my hand and being able to shower without a bag on it!!

Thanks again! Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts