G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
this is of concern since i use LGB turnouts and i have no locomotives or rolling stock from LGB
Read above. I mostly run non-LGB locomotives and rolling stock. The minor issues I've had, I've been able to tweak and sort out. I personally have had far fewer issues with compatibility with LGB turnouts than I did with aristocraft turnouts.

Case in point.... yesterday I ran my PIKO 2-6-0 saddletank with two LGB gondolas (bachmann metal wheels on them), three bachmann gondolas (also with bachmann metal wheels), and a bachmann bobber caboose for about 5 hours. It was run around my complete circuit which also includes this crazy crossover (pic below), so it passed through every single turnout in my layout (8 turnouts and both ways over the crossover). I had an issue on the first pass with one turnout (ballast had settled and it was unlevel), so I re-levelled it and it ran 5 hours reliably with NO further issues at all. Sometimes when reading online, the context is sometimes lost and it often seems like the issues are more widespread than they actually are.

Train Rolling stock Track Railway Mode of transport

·
Registered
133 Posts
So they must also be plastic... metal wheels please, just do it, really.
I wasn't going to go there (as there are a ton of topics on wheels, and it almost always turns into a debate), but yes I 100% agree with Greg. I've had good luck with USA trains metal wheels. Bachmann metal wheels are not quite as good, but are satisfactory (still lightyears better than plastic). Make the switch if you can!

·
Super Modulator
22,086 Posts
Will make a big difference in keeping on the rails... it's been proven over and over.

This is one of those "don't make yourself crazy" things... .Bachmann wheels are usually the cheapest alternative, they are reasonable in quality. Aristo wheels used to be the sort of standard, very nice quality and finish and available at a discount if in quantity, but hard to get now.

Buying used can be a crap shoot, hard to tell if they have been damaged before buying.

Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,086 Posts
I've never had an Aristo metal wheelset fall apart, the new ones, you must be referring to the ancient ones with the plastic half axles joined with a metal rod.

The ones that were sold by the bag of 50 or so are rugged, well machined and never fall apart, unlike the cheap Bachmann ones, and they don't rust like the sintered steel ones from AML for example.

Greg

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've never had an Aristo metal wheelset fall apart, the new ones, you must be referring to the ancient ones with the plastic half axles joined with a metal rod.

The ones that were sold by the bag of 50 or so are rugged, well machined and never fall apart, unlike the cheap Bachmann ones, and they don't rust like the sintered steel ones from AML for example.

Greg
Greg, you beat me to it. These later style Aristo ones pictured are rugged/nicely made. Not the blackened unobtainium/unknown metal alloy ones with the fragile plastic axle sleeves (I agree are problematic, but can be repaired to work well).

Good aristo wheels:
Gas Engineering Machine Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Super Modulator
22,086 Posts
I swap out the "split" ones as soon as I can.

Pete, I think you have been playing with stuff that is too old ha ha!

These are the ones that many people were buying like candy from Aristo:

Unfortunately hard to find now... but many other makers...

The ones from Al Kramer are pretty good:

Greg

·
Registered
133 Posts
I swap out the "split" ones as soon as I can.

Pete, I think you have been playing with stuff that is too old ha ha!

These are the ones that many people were buying like candy from Aristo:

Unfortunately hard to find now... but many other makers...

The ones from Al Kramer are pretty good:

Greg
Those Al Kramer ones look darn near identical (if not identical) to USAT's blackened wheelsets. Do they come from the same manufacturing plant? FYI USAT's wheels are cheaper than Al Kramer's (about $21 or $22 per set of 4 axles). I'm a big fan of USAT's wheels. They run true (no wobbling, unlike Bachmann), have the right amount of heft to them (heavier than Bachmann), and as such roll very smoothly. Flange depth is good to be forgiving of imperfect trackwork, and rolls well through all of my LGB turnouts. I've also noticed the Bachmann flanges tend to squeak around curves at times (with the material/coating they use). I have not noticed any squeaking with USAT's wheels.

·
Super Modulator
22,086 Posts
No they are different. I have not purchased the Al Kramer ones, don't know if the axle is SS or steel. Yes, the USAT axles are reasonable in price now, they are my preferred replacement.

To save money many people will get the Bachmann, but I've had my share of wobbly wheels, and the wheels are cast, not machined. The finish does not compare to the USAT ones.

I think we are in violent agreement.

Greg

·
Registered
36 Posts
when LGB started in 1968, there was just one other model railroad in 45mm gauge. (as far, as i know)
that was "Marklin Maxi" (scale 1:32) with much smaller rails and much finer wheels.
the Maxi stuff tended to "fall" into the frogs of LGB turnouts.
i always thought, that was the reason for the warning.
You answered my question. My Maxi 1 diving into the frog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With modifications, virtually any turnout can be made to work well. My Aristo 10' diameter work better and smoother than the LGB R3, since I corrected guard rail flangway widths, and matched the points to the stock rails, and lowered frogs.

Can't argue with this: (I have left it running 5 hours at a time) (several WR switches in diverging route)

Greg; I am installing 6 new 10 ft Arita switched and would like to TUNE them up before installation. My knees are too old to do it more than once. Could you post the instructions or somehow get me a diagram? Thanks, interesting article!
Steve

·
Super Modulator
22,086 Posts
There are over 750 pages on my web site.

The link to my site is in my signature.

Go to LS Trains, then Track and Switches, and where ever you want to go from there.

It's all organized.

I'll make it easy this time:

But there are 749 OTHER pages of information too... and the search function works also.

Greg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello all. Newbie turnout question here. I am looking into getting a few turnouts for my outdoor brass 332 railroad. I have a variety of new Piko and USA Trains and some older Aristo. People generally seem to like LGB products but in the LGB manual for turnouts it has this paragraph:

"Important! LGB turnouts are designed for the wheels on LGB locomotives and cars. If you use other makes of locomotives and/or cars, they may derail when running through LGB turnouts."

Is this just LGB being cautious and do their R3 turnouts generally work well with Piko, USA Trains and Aristo cars and locos?

Thank you.

Kent
FYI. The two issues with other manufacturers is (1) Marklin Maxi pick ups too short. Solder longer shoes to shorts and goes thru LGB 1600 and 1800. (2) Aristocraft remake of Delton 2-8-0, the pilots won pass thru. Mine is now an0-8-0 and works fine. Just in passing.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts