G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow - this editor has serious issues -  The title of this page was about issues with quoting.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

The WYSIWYG editor provided with this forum has a few glitches  - here is one apparently:

When you select the "quote" function in a previously written response, the editor opens up the quote with the {quote} (its not visible) but does not add the closing  {/quote} to close off the quote properly  (Use square brackets - I'm using curly brackets, otherwise the editor will "interpret" my example).  Then, when you write your response, your response gets included in the quote.  The solution is to type in {/quote} (using square brackets) before your response in order to close the quote.  Then your response will appear as a separate piece of text below the quote.  (at least that is what is happening in Firefox)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, this is not a consistent bug - sometimes it closes, sometimes it doesn't... if you find your response has been included in the quote from the other writer, open up the post with the edit command and insert /quote (in square brackets) between the quote and your response, to properly isolate your response.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have tried to quote a couple of times and it doesn't close for me. It may be a Firefox incompatibility issue.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By Skip on 01/06/2008 11:19 AM

Wow - this editor has serious issues -  The title of this page was about issues with quoting.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

The WYSIWYG editor provided with this forum has a few glitches  - here is one apparently:

When you select the "quote" function in a previously written response, the editor opens up the quote with the {quote} (its not visible) but does not add the closing  {/quote} to close off the quote properly  (Use square brackets - I'm using curly brackets, otherwise the editor will "interpret" my example).  Then, when you write your response, your response gets included in the quote.  The solution is to type in {/quote} (using square brackets) before your response in order to close the quote.  Then your response will appear as a separate piece of text below the quote.  (at least that is what is happening in Firefox)

This is what I get!

-Brian

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Posted By Skip on 01/06/2008 11:19 AM

Like this?

Becky

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Worked for both brian and Becky shows it like its supposed to be. Doesn't do it every time for me either tho. Its not a Firefox "compatibility" problem, its an event handling problem in the forum software - the compatibility problem is on the forum software side, not Firefox's.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A problem that I noticed this morning, is characteristic of the MLS server generally - the server will respond generally fairly smoothly, but every once in a awhile it (or the local network its part of) bogs, and it takes quite awhile for the housekeeping packets to get back and forth. When this happens when you're writing a response in the editor, there appears to be some code mixup (packet collisions?). For example, at one point this morning, in a lengthy post, I reached a point where I couldn't place a period - every time I hit the period, I got the uppercase >. I toggled the caps key, didn't matter, then, no matter what I did, all I got was caps. I attribute this to packet data not getting through quickly, especially RTS and ACK packets, leaving the user confused as to what state the editor is in. I don't recall this happening in the other version.
While I'm on a roll, this editor gets confused when you use both feature keys above (B, I, U) and forumhtml Squarebracket B, I, etc. This is why you see the html code dumps in the post. This also occurs with the smilies : if I use colon-parenthesis, it will convert it to a smilie, if I then add a smilie from the list, it'll dump the code for the icon. :)" />:)   sometimes... partly in this case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts