G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Aristocraft Mike, it lights up and heats up to where water is moving around (a good few minutes), but then the fire goes out. I went to great pains to have the butane can warmer than the gas tank and after filling I added warm water to the jacket (added it twice so it would get the jacket warm). It fired nicely and slight movements of the fuel regulating valve changed the sound of the fire. Then after those few minutes, it goes out so I try to relight to no avail. I check the fill valve and it appears to be out of gas. So, I refill it (and it almost acts as if it is full, but with the thumbnail there is nothing) and while I can hear and feel a stream of gas coming from the jet, it gives me a very weak fire that doesn't seem to react to the gas regulator valve.
I had originally thought that it might be the gas fill valve that was the culprit, but I replaced Aristocraft one with a new 4.5mm Ronson valve by drilling and tapping.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Jim

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kept as much swarf as possible out of the hole and I blew it out as best I could and I did consider that, but it is acting (flame going out) just exactly the way it did before I drilled and tapped and when I checked it, I had a nice flow coming for the jet even when the tank was near empty so I see no signs of blockage.
Also, I have checked the burner and it seems very clean and has a stainless steel screen added by the previous owner that appears to be in perfect shape.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Jim,
Is the tank removable so that you can test it for leaks?
Or is that impossible?
I don't have any gas fired locos, but is there a way to make sure that the gas is going into the tank?
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is removable. I checked it with lots of suds to be sure I had a good seal on the new gas filler valve and no bubbles showed a sign of anything. That is one reason I did not believe it was a leaky gas tank, but maybe I need to fully submerse the gas tank in a tub of water. The gas tank has an integral water tank. Is there any problem with filling my gas tank and then submersing it in water?

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
I'm reaching now: Maybe the vent on the filler valve is not working properly and freezing up. Do you have a small kitchen scale? Weigh the tank when empty then add butane, check the weight again. (I'll see if I can find how much liquid Butane weights) A defective vent in the filler will allow vapor to sneak past the filler stem and act like the tank is full when there is only a little in it. This may be easier: remove the jet, while filling the tank, open the valve to vent air out, close valve. Replace the jet and see if that makes a difference. Removing the jet will keep any debris from plugging it while it is venting.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I originally thought about the fill valve so I replaced it with a brand new valve. I can't imagine two fill valves not working with one being new, but I will definitely weigh it before fill and after as well as submerge it for leaks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I weighed the gas tank empty at 17.92 oz and full at 19.08 oz. The can I used to fill it weighed 9.10 oz before filling and 7.51 oz after filling. In a bucket of water, absolutely no leaks. My butane can was warmed slightly and my gas tank was the 60 degrees ambient temperature yet it was a very messy fill, but since it is a new Ronson valve, I put the messy fill to being just that a messy fill. My gas tank with water bath is 2 inch x 2 inch x 3 1/2 inch, but I am not sure of the size of the actual gas tank, but I would think that 1 oz of butane would be enough to get some pressure in my boiler.
I am running out of things to try to cure my problem of the fire just going out. Thanks for any thoughts. Jim

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I said, my first attempt to fill was very messy and when I stopped, I had just slightly over 1 oz of butane in the gas tank. To try something else, I went back to filling and it was messy, but not quite as bad. I now have a total of 2 1/4 oz in the tank. In other words, my second fill added another 1 1/4 oz of butane to my tank.
I don't know why this tank is so hard to fill, but right now my question is could 1 oz of butane not be sufficient to run my burner for a reasonable length of time. Could this have been my problem, just not getting the tank full?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I got the fire to not cut out, but I don't know what I did to get that unless it was just filling the tank more, but weight wise that doesn't seem to be it. Oh well, at least it is going. Got one more issue so not rolling yet.
Thanks for the help. Jim

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
yellow-cad, good to see you are making progress.
EDIT: Did some testing here, first vented the tank and took tare weight, whole tender minus the coal load, 4lb 14.5 oz. Side note The whole tender got cold. Filled with butane and weight went up to 5lb 01.0 oz. I knew it was at full capacity as liquid butane bubbled up from the tip of the Ronson valve after I removed the filler. Looks like the trick is to let it settle a bit and then top it off. Now to running that thing!!!

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
I think so, it was more difficult than my other butane locos. First attempt it didn't seem to take long before it 'acted' like it was full with strong gas spewing out, just seemed to quick. I waited about 5 minutes to let the fill area warm a bit. The second filling did the trick, to the point that when I removed the filler rod the liquid butane came bubbling out of the tip of the filler valve. I knew then it was full. Don't know if it is the nature of the beast, but mine spews oil like a geyser. In it's defense I think I am over filling it. Each loco has it's own idiosyncrasies, once you learn what they are steaming is fun. Anxious to see a pic/video of yours chugging along.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I reduced the ID diameter of the copperpipe at the connector to the oilteservoir by 2/3 reds (wire insert)this mod makes the 5ml oil last for at least 2-40 min runs without oilsplatter all over.My Mike is the 1rst generation and beside replacing all the driverods is still running very strong
Manfred

1 - 20 of 73 Posts