G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I am dabbling in LGB Euro trains, I was wondering if there was a LGB data base with pictures of
what steam locos and Euro frieght cars were made, so I know what to look for to fit my 1940s diorama.
This way I can go thru Evil bay and do private sales to aquire items I will need.

Thanks,
Rocky

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well what I am looking for is a larger German type steam loco with a seprate tender such as a class 52 or there abouts.
I've got a 2-6-2 T class loco coming, but that would not be a long haul type loco. I could live with a 4-6-2, 4-8-2 or such type,
as long as it has a seperate tender. I may have to pay some $$$ for it if I find it, but that's what an armourment train would use
for a longer, heavy haul - ie. tanks, cannons, vehicles, etc.. I now have 2 types of flatcars that can haul Pk40 75mm AT cannons
and the longer one can do light tanks and Hanomags, but my larger tanks are too wide to fit on 1/22 scale cars

So I will have to make some smaller tanks such as muraders, Flakpanzers, etc. I just want something cool to play with that's not
too far off from reality. But the bigger steamer and a decent open end longer passenger car likethe one in "Von Ryan's Express"
would be what I'm looking for. Flatcars can be kitbashed easily.

Thanks, Rocky

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
You will be spending quite a bit, LGB only did the Mike for large standard gauge steam, for the rest, you will be going to Marklin or Kiss, and these will be 1:32 and not "G".

The 2-6-2 you have coming is a Harz narrow gauge loco, but it saw "mainline" service there.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Spule,
Well, perhaps I may need to stay in Euro NG then.

I did some looking on that site and saw the 2-10-2. I guess that's what I'll want to find and a tender to go with it.
If I can find it, I want to make a removable Armour sheath to side over the loco and tender and paint it camo to fit the part of my diorama. Won't be able to run it unless I can "Tunnel" thru the boxes in storage in that room- believe me, I crazy enough to do it too
So, where can I find that DR 2-10-2 that LGB made in 2006 ??? That's the question now

Rocky

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
That engine from 2006 is LGB 24812. It has been announced for rerelease in 2009 as catalog number 25811 (without sound) or 25812 (with sound).
(Different engine number). Scale is 1:22.5.

Re: armour/camo.... that is one of the most over done things for WWII German trains. Winterization, yes. On the eastern front. Armour... truly not all that much...
Someone just bought some 4 axle 43630 LGB box cars from me to do Ryan's Express... seems to be the thing to do.

If you can do 1:32, Marklin is your choice. There you could get a used class 38 steamer or a class 55 steamer, those have been made by Marklin for a long time and you can find them with luck relatively cheap used.

What you REALLY want is this:
http://magnusbahn.de/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&page=inline&id=1127&Itemid=28

1:22.5 Standard Gauge (64mm! not that wuss-45mm stuff)..... all steel.... Magnus... separates the men from the boys (or from the money in your wallet)

Martin

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
You might want to price a 2-10-2 before getting too set on modifying one.

A thread that was on a UK forum which concluded that the common carrier narrow gauge lines in Germany saw no war transport traffic of armor. There was some other traffic, but do your own research for that.

You can find some "Era 2" DRG and occupation era decals and loco stuff, but many steer clear from this era for obvious reasons.

Check out Beckert, I am going to try and order a couple things from them, depending on their payment terms.

If you want to stay G, check out the Piko BR80, yes, a shunter, but there were a few of them out there. And with the direction Piko are going, maybe some more German steam will be en route?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
The other thing you can do (and LGB at one time wanted to do - I still have the flyer that has it on the cover) is to convert an LGB Mikado into a class 39 or 41 steam locomotive. Looking at your GN steamer, hacking plastic is not a problem for you....
It may not be a scale model, but you can definitely get the overall look.

Martin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts