G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i don't know about you guys but this very high price of shipping is starting to bug me.. i posted yesterday that i had found a couple of aristo signal towers at train world and i ordered them, well today they came outstandingly quick but cost 30.00 to ship to me and i'm only 2 hours upstate? shipping prices have been going thrue the roof lately because of fuel prices but i have now decided to rethink the whole ordering online thing cause between the prices of the trains and now the shipping so high its starting not to be a hobby but more of a money pit because of the rising cost of everything lately, to much to quick! i think anyway. your thoughts?
Nick..

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I don't have so much of a prob with shipping from stores as the excessive shipping some people try to charge on ebay...If you aren't careful it can make what at first looked like a deal even MORE expensive than simply paying full retail and shipping from a dealer. For instance, a stupid little DVD simply doesn't cost $9-12 to ship domestically unless (maybe) you hire a private courier.

I WAS in for a bit of a shock trying to ship an order for a customer recently. I hadn't updated my shipping chart, and a box that USED to cost $35 to ship 2 years ago ended up facing me with a choice of $56 for UPS ground or $147 USPS (it was 1" oversized) Even at $56, I LOST money on the sale because I had quoted his discount based on the outdated shipping schedule.

Note: on second thought, there is ONE prob I have with one dealer. Their ad says "factory shipping addl." on certain items...so you not only do you pay the asking price for the item, the bill has TWO shipping charges on it. One for the shipping from the factory to them, the other from them to you.... It allows them to advertise an artificially low (FALSE!) "sale price" compared to those who include the first shipping in their price. IMO it is a sleazy practice, even if it isn't illegal.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
The high cost of everything is getting me down lately /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/angry.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my hobby-budget stays more or less the same.
shipping increases. so i am buying cheaper (not so good) products....

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Your alternative would be to drive to a store, purchase, pay tax in the store, then pay the gas both ways (if you don't count wear and tear, insurance), tolls (if you drove down to NYC). See where that puts you. Also, some stores don't offer the same price in store versus on line. There was a discussion a while back about buying at St. Aubins in Las Vegas, and how it was actually more expensive to walk in and buy it and carry whatever out. Those signal bridges should have fit nicely in to HD saddle bags, if your HD could go that far without needing a part...yet another high cost. ;)" border=0>

Still, $30 for two signal bridges is high. I would have expected $10-15 tops for that. Did they tell you when you placed your order that the shipping would be that high?

Over on UPS, they have posted this regarding the fuel surcharge:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/find/cost/fuel_surcharge.html

I'm seeing the cost of living increase dramatically to the point where I am not considering spending $$ on trains. I attribute that increase directly to the cost of moving product to market. Things that should have been fixed by now are in a holding pattern until things improve by either salary increases or price stabilizations. Since I cannot predict the latter, I must wait for the former to catch up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark,
i here ya on the no spendings $ on train things its getting out of control price wise, besides i'm pritty well set have most of what i need. anything else i suppose i could drive over to penn and buy , you don't have sales tax right? well if you need some extra motive power till prices come down i can bring you a new GG1 DOES YOUR LAYOUT HAVE BIGGER THAN 8FT DIA CURVES..../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif OOOO who am i kidding i cant even lift the dam thing into the back of my truck without feeling some pain between the leggs:rolleyes:/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif
Nick..

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Posted By markoles on 04/30/2008 10:21 AM
I'm seeing the cost of living increase dramatically to the point where I am not considering spending $$ on trains. I attribute that increase directly to the cost of moving product to market. Things that should have been fixed by now are in a holding pattern until things improve by either salary increases or price stabilizations. Since I cannot predict the latter, I must wait for the former to catch up.

Since my 2 percent cost of living raise at the beginning of january was trumped by a 5 percent cost of health insurance increase and they tell us that this year to date the health costs have been even higher and to expect that cost to go up antoher 5 to 10 percent I'm expecting my 2 percent COLR next January will be at a loss again. Sicne I'm in a dead end job with no hope of promotion and no place to promote to, I'm stuck on hold as it were. Buy American made Cutco kitchen cutlery this summer folks! It's my only hope! (forgive shameless plug!)

Chas

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Nick,

6% sales tax. You have to go a little bit further to Deleware for no sales tax.

Yes, I do have larger than 8' dia curves, but you wouldn't like what I want a GG-1 for. As a NH fan, I'd take the shell off, and replace it with the proper box cab, like the original, the New Haven EP-3.
http://www.railking1gauge.com/detail.asp?item=20-5629-1

Chas - I'd buy your knives, but then end up cutting myself resulting in higher medical costs.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
"quote:Subject: Is the high price of shipping getting you down?"

I can't let it do so as virtually all of my purchases for hobby or shop items must be shipped out here. I don't see rising shipping costs inhibiting my purchases as I really have little choice. Even if I pick up some things myself a trip to Coos Bay is a 100 mile roundtrip and Eugene about 300 miles there and back. That's a lot of gasoline. The fact of no sales tax in Oregon offsets somewhat the shipping costs but of course price increases are still felt. I don't do ebay, at least so far.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
It seems almost every outfit I deal with has a store in Nevada. Shipping AND sales tax.

Grumble grumble, Bob

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Posted By xo18thfa on 04/30/2008 1:25 PM
It seems almost every outfit I deal with has a store in Nevada. Shipping AND sales tax.

Grumble grumble, Bob

Actually, if you read the tax codes, MOST states still want the tax to be paid....You (the purchaser) are just supposed to VOLUNTARILY fill out their stupid "use tax" form, file it, and send in the payment.... any guess on how many people actually DO?

Ohio has passed a new law that if you have a transient vendor's license (like I do) to do shows in Ohio, you are also responsible to collect sales tax on any mail orders sent there as well (each county has a different rate, and the bi-yearly tax form is 3 pages long.... just what I needed, another headache)...If you forget to file on time they send you an "estimated bill" (which is usually for about 3 times what you GROSSED there in the last 3 years), and then send you to the Atty Gen's office for collections.....I THINK Cali has a similar law regarding ALL mail order houses (whether you have a Cali tax number or not), too.

New York, and New Jersey (and I think Connecticut) have a reciprocal tax agreement so that if you do business in one and ship to the other, you gotta collect the tax.(and do the paperwork, and if it is ONE day late there is a $50 fine-- even on NO tax due...any wonder I gave up my NY tax number?)

The latest and greatest is a plan, backed by about half a dozen states, to require the credit card companies to collect the sales tax. Except it will (naturally) require the sellers to fill out and file all the stupid paperwork...

Just thinking about all this has given me a bellyache and made me wonder if I shouldn't just give up and go out of business.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Posted By markoles on 04/30/2008 11:23 AM
Nick,
6% sales tax. You have to go a little bit further to Deleware for no sales tax.
Yes, I do have larger than 8' dia curves, but you wouldn't like what I want a GG-1 for. As a NH fan, I'd take the shell off, and replace it with the proper box cab, like the original, the New Haven EP-3.
http://www.railking1gauge.com/detail.asp?item=20-5629-1
Chas - I'd buy your knives, but then end up cutting myself resulting in higher medical costs.

you live in pennsylvania and you would hack up a beutiful GG1, shame on you...:D i'm not even a pennsy fan and i like the way it looks...
Nick/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
Getting our home built so maybe we can start playing with trains again!
263 Posts
The high price of shipping????? That's assuming you can afford to buy the product just to have it shipped in the first place.:confused:/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I ordered a $15 book from New Zealand (Cane Trains), a prototype to base my models on. Shipping came to $19

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Overseas shipping is a who nudder kettle o fish. Used to be that if you weren't in a hurry you could specify "surface"...which sometimes actually went by air anyway, but could take as long as a couple months....but it was inexpensive for heavy low value stuff like small iron castings, etc. NOW, your choices from the USPS are "Global Priority" (the old air mail) or "Global Express" (which gets it there in about the same time due to customs delays, but costs twice as much)

I import cast iron steam engine kits from England. It used to be I could order 3 kits, pay about $40 and have them in 3 weeks via surface...now I order 3 kits, it costs me over $100 and I have them in about 8 days via DHL.... faster yes, but it takes a BIG bite out of my already slim margin.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Posted By Mik on 04/29/2008 4:08 PM
I don't have so much of a prob with shipping from stores as the excessive shipping some people try to charge on ebay...

My son is of the mindset that when he sells on e-bay, the shipping charges should cover his actual shipping costs, e-bay costs, and PayPal costs, plus some. Apparently others think the same way. I just stay away from e-bay unless it is a commercial item that I can Buy-It-Now for a price I know is good.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The local stores carry very little in G scale, so I have no other options. I always add in the shipping and then decide if its a price I can afford. On ebay auctions, if no shipping is listed in advance I don't bid. They may be still only charging you their cost, but that can be pretty high if they take it to some local box and ship shop. Due to budget contstraints, I tend to end up with the broken, worn, used pieces from estate sales. Knowing the passion and work we put into these garden railroads, its kind of depressing when you think of what happens after we're gone. Relatives rip it up, pack it as "junk", and dump it for some quick cash.

I saw an auction recently on some really nice vintage O scale Lionel trains. An elderly neighbor no longer healthy enough to use them had given them to a lady as a gift for her son. Something I would consider as a precious gift for a young boy (that's similar to how I got started many years ago) Instead of giving them to the boy, she sold them on ebay for the quick cash. Sad, just sad.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts