G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The news said that there were tornados in Colonial Heights, VA today. That is about 30mi south of Richmond. Isn't Joe's new home somewhere south of Richmond?
Joe, we hope you, the family, and the homestead are OK.
JimC.

·
Premium Member
Getting our home built so maybe we can start playing with trains again!
263 Posts
Jim, Tommy, Duncan, etc.........
Yes we are fine. Just a little excitement here. Really surprised to see the coverage we have gotten involving this but then again 'naders are not nearly as common here as they were in KC. In fact they are almost non-existant.
Thanks for the concern. We came out without a scratch nor damage yet in the scope of knowing how these things can morph we were lucky. Colonial Heights is a very small City by any comparison. It encompasses only 8 sq miles of area so......The area affected could have been considered very close by many standards considering we've seen the destruction of towns (Plainfield, IL) much larger than here. Anywho we were totally oblivious to what was going on at the time. I had just retrieved Cami from the bus and we were watching the television when the alert was broadcast. Ironically the City has an Emergency Notification System that automatically calls businesses and homes (residents have to sign up businesses are automatic) in the event of things like this but we never received a call. It really happens that quickly. I gotta say that because of all the tree's we have, without any early warning system like the call or a weather radio, the only way we'll know what's happening is when the tree's start flying since we can't see a dang thing on the horizon. If this were KC we would've had a front row seat to things considering it passed less than a mile to our south. Although, seeing what happened to the folks down in Suffolk, I'd say we were more than just a little lucky.
So..........All are well or should I say everything is normal...

Thanks again for the concern and asking.

Joe

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Joe,

Glad to here you & family are OK..
Hope you dug the weather monitor out of the unpacked boxes & hooked it up!!

BulletBob

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Yup! We did that last year for Hurricane season after hearing the stories about Isabel. It was an unsettling irony to have to change the settings from Blizzard/Winter Storm warning to Hurricane/Flash Flood. Ya know come to think of it the radio didn't even buzz yesterday. Actually our biggest danger here is the straight line winds that seem to develope in the area. Mountains to the West and the coast to the East makes things very interesting from what we've seen. We've had more issues with trees and the regular/storm front winds than anything else. I guess that's why the tornado was such a surprise yesterday. We were all looking for the winds that typically accompany severe storms. Now we know different.

As with everywhere else, it seems the weather can occupy the news to the extreme but today it's really a focus since we had a 'nader. Got people calling in to many of the staions about little things that usually don't come-up. WOW! But I gotta say Suffolk suffered more damage with the one than Brunswick County and Colonial Heights did combined (a personal opinion from what the pictures and experience have shown. Some of the stories you hear compared to what you see..... Don't get me wrong it was a bad thing but still some mighty tall tales here in Colonial Heights./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif It really could have been a great deal worse.

Really can't imagine what things would be like here if.... As I mentioned with all the trees (many 100+ ft), it'd certainly be a total loss if we had a direct hit either way. We've looked at installing a back-up generator but we keep asking if there will be a house left to use it in? Doohhh!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just heard about the storm today and can't get on a forum at work anymore, first thing I thought about was if you all were okay. Sorry so many folks got hurt and had damage, but glad you all are fine. Like I said in my email, sorry we left the gate open and let a twister get loose. Just don't send it back to us, okay???

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Joe,
Got your e-mail off line. Glad to hear all is OK. While stationed at Ft. Eustis from 78 til 83 we had a few strong winds but no tornados. Then out to home territory at Ft. Riley KS and tornado alley. I think they followed me back here in 86 because we have had a couple around Elkton MD where we now live. No longer a rare event on the east coast. Keep your head down.
Noel

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
T-bird.....
Nuttn' like shuttn' the barn door after the 'nader gets out. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif;):whistling:Don't let it happen again or we'll send a 'cane your way;););)(or atleast the remains of one.)
Noel,
MD is not too far. We'll we see ya?

Thanks again for all the concern.

BTW if I can get some delivery assistance..... we'll have a great addition to the layout for things.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well like I always say, only way to know if you have a hole in a fence or leaky roof is after the problem!

·
Registered
19 Posts
...haven't talked to you in a while Joe...glad to hear everything is okay...we even had a fairly large fire here in Ca. this past week...screwy weather!!!! OBTW the new house looks good...I hear the baby(Cami) is doing well also.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey Joe,

Glad to hear you were not in the middle of things. I live west of Richmond but work downtown. I'm a mile north of the Channel 6 radar, so I can easily check what's happening at home. We had the severe storms pass over, but the woods seem to protect us from most of the wind damage. Takes me a while to pick up all the sticks though. I once had a large branch smash a concrete pagoda, but so far the plastic buildings have been spared.

Apparently the tornados like the Southpark Mall area. This one went through a shopping center parking lot. Back in the early 90's another destroyed the WalMart there. If you lived there at the time, you may recall it bounced over to a neighborhood along the James River. My brother was out of town, and I was feeding his cats while he was gone. I was terrified when I saw the reports it went right through his street. We drove down to check, and he was lucky to only have roof damage. A couple hundred feet away was a very wide path of trees completely flattened. You never know. We're just glad there were no more injuries this time around. The pictures showed cars stacked up in the parking lot, as people watched from the stores.

I see you have a link to your web site. I'll have to take a closer look when I have some time tomorrow.

Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts