G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been unable to bring up his site for a few days. Was an excellent Aster referance and pics although many of the pic's became non functional after the last site down time. Did he take it down for good or is it undergoing a renovation?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Try this.
web.archive.org/web/20190323191545/https://www.southernsteamtrains.com/index.htm

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
Been unable to bring up his site for a few days. Was an excellent Aster referance and pics although many of the pic's became non functional after the last site down time. Did he take it down for good or is it undergoing a renovation?
Jim posted a note a few months ago (2019) that he was working on it. Haven't heard since.

Southernsteamtrains website is down

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was back up shortly after that post, but the functionality of it was poor, lots of missing pics and links that were dead. Now it just totally gone

·
Registered
844 Posts
Did you try this? Copy and paste, the whole line, into your browser.

web.archive.org/web/20190323191545/https://www.southernsteamtrains.com/index.htm

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Thanks for that reference! Does anyone have contact details for Jim Pitt - I would be happy to try to get the website back up but would need his permission to use the content he collected.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
Thanks for that reference! Does anyone have contact details for Jim Pitt - I would be happy to try to get the website back up but would need his permission to use the content he collected.
Send him a message via MLS - he posted on the thread I linked. Or message him on Facebook.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Send him a message via MLS - he posted on the thread I linked. Or message him on Facebook.
Good idea. I do have his email address from a transaction many years ago but it bounced.

In the meantime, I scraped the entire site from the archive and have it up and running on my home server.

Robert

·
Registered
90 Posts
Or as per the archived web site call him:
(864) 979-4128
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
Attached is Jim Pitts current status. I live one hour from Jim, attended several steam ups at his house. He is a a very helpful steamer, and a great person.
Very depression to hear about his current status.

Ger Pierce

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Thanks Ger,
Will certainly pray for him.
I only met him a couple of times over the years, but glad that I did.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dr Jim Pitts has passed from complications related to Covid. May he rest in peace, prayers for his family right now. He leaves a big void in the gauge one community. Mike and Michele T

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I tried the archive version. However, links don't seem to work, so I don't understand how to navigate.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I scraped the entire sight a few weeks ago and have (most of) it available on my home machine. My intent was to republish but I needed Jim's approval to do so which, for obvious and very sad reasons, was never forthcoming.

If there is anything specific that you want, please let me know.

Robert

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I scraped the entire sight a few weeks ago and have (most of) it available on my home machine. My intent was to republish but I needed Jim's approval to do so which, for obvious and very sad reasons, was never forthcoming.

Robert
I think the copyrights go his heirs, who can give you permission to use the material, and republish it. He created the site in a spirit of common good. I would be surprised if his heirs would object to his creation continuing to exist in that spirit.
It's valuable reference material to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts