G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that LGB has shut? That they’ve gone out of business?

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, Good!
I’d been hearing rumours at the local Hobby Shops. Now, why the stupid high prices on used LGB stuff in the ‘bay? Oh well.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Yes, LGB is gone. The founders of the company and original factory are long gone. The molds and equipment were bought by Maerklin which has since gone into bankruptcy.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
4,044 Posts
There is a container of LGB goods on its way to the USA. Last I knew it was on a dock in Europe waiting to ship, and it could be on a boat headed to us by now.
Strong rumor is a second container is on its way.

Many new LGB goods are available in Europe and I just got my LGB 2009 catalog, so I truely believe LGB is not dead and gone, but is now owned by Maerklin.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
EPL did the Big Hindenburg 2-1/2 years ago, the reasons for such can be found if one digs into the forum archives. Meanwhile we've been waiting patiently for Marklin to resume shipping - now they 've hit the rocks. Unless Marklin can maintain production during the insolvency proceedings, whatever recently manufactured products that do make it over here to these shores, may be all that ever makes it, depending on your sources, its kinda up in the air whether production can legally continue during this most recent round of "troubles". Some say yes, but that they can only continue manufacturing of items already under production, IOWs no new investment in new product, only whats already set up and running, so some catalog items are either on-hold or cancelled for the time being. As far as I've read its all Euro profile stuff that remains in production. We'll see when (if) any new product makes it to here.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
as well as I undertstand it, EPL (Ernst Paul Lehman) owned LGB--always had/ The EPL went bankrupt a few years ago. A battle ensued for the rights for the LGB name, tooling, and molds. After much intrigue, Marklin eneded up owning exclusve rights to the LGB name and LGB equipment. Marklin even made a new product announcement and produced some stuff, which is supposedly on its way to the US. Then a couple months ago Marklin filed for bankrputcy. Whee!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So… it is[/i] true then. How sad. Thus, LGB is yet another victim to China’s rise and the fall of the Western economies.

Hopefully Marklin can pull themselves together.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By Trains West on 03/23/2009 8:46 AM
LGB is not[/b] dead .....

Don't take it personally Scott!

Okay, It died, was chopped up into parts and resurrected to be sold at twice the price.

"It's Alive"

-Brian

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL! Good one! I love[/i] Young Frankenstein!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Posted By studeclunker on 03/22/2009 9:24 AM

So… it is[/i] true then. How sad. Thus, LGB is yet another victim to China’s rise and the fall of the Western economies.

Hopefully Marklin can pull themselves together.
Its more like a victim to themselves with their high priced trains. Who can afford them when you have companies like HLW and Bachmann. I think they did it to themselves. I know I wont buy LGB unless I can get a really good deal. But thats just me :)

·
Super Modulator
21,236 Posts
I do not think you can trust the Walthers announcements... you need an announcement from Marklin they are shipping.

Walthers does not want to put bad news on their site.

Marklin is bankrupt, so that compounds any LGB deliveries...

The proof is what you can RECEIVE from Walthers today.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
greg You have no Idea what you are talking about

I talk to my rep at walthers every week and have done two orders a week for 18 years with walthers .....

LGB was only dead in the US becouse of the break off of lgb of America

LGB IS NOT DEAD and Walthers is a great Co.

the dates may move around a little but the stuff is on the way

·
Super Modulator
21,236 Posts
Of course, right out of the chute with the insult.... nice...

Question 1: So, you can order LGB from Walthers and get it delivered?

Question 2: So, have you received anything from the 2009 catalog?

My point is that with Marklin bankrupt, you don't know anything until it is resolved... is someone telling you that factories AT THIS VERY MOMENT are producting LGB products?

I would only believe an official Marklin release right now, unless you are getting new product on a regular basis.

So, instead of hurling insults, how about giving some FACTS... I don't really care if you talk to your rep every week, what counts is if PRODUCT IS BEING DELIVERED.

It's out of Walthers control, and no one is insulting Walthers... sheesh...

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
GONE for me is that LGB is not making the stock I'm interested in. No F7 or modern diesels, limited American steam offerings. I have no interest in modeling a European railroad. Now, if they make track I would buy it at a competitive price.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
I am bringing my LGB Pennsy F units and passenger cars along with my European sets to sell at the ECLSTS. Bringing back Aristo, USA and maybe even something from .......
LAO

1 - 20 of 92 Posts