G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I use 29111B wheelsets and turn them into 29111D by machining the hub off.

I disassemble the B axle, chuck it in a lathe and turn .060 off of each end where the hub is...

Finished!

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Chuck,

That's the best way to do it; but most folks probably don't have a lathe.

Thanks for showing the great job you did on the axles.

-Ted

·
Registered
914 Posts
Ted
if you take that much off each axle end (.060) now didn't you say you needed to add a washer?
i have a lathe so i can do this just wondering if i took just .030 off would it be better?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Gary Raymond's web site is www.trainwheels.com.

On it are listed the more than 70 different wheel set models available for Large Scale with prices.

For shipping costs and application questions, please email Gary at: [email protected] or call 805-492-5858 9am-6pm PST.

He'll be happy to help with any questions you have.

Gary Raymond also has an ad. in every issue of Garden Railways Magazine with the same contact info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are many dealers for Gary Raymond Wheels.

The best thing is to call your local dealer and ask them to order what you want if they don't have them in stock.

Marty's Hobbies in Thousand Oaks, CA usually has many Gary Raymond wheel set models in stock, takes credit cards and is quick with shipping.
Their phone is: 805-497-3664.

You can also buy them direct from Gary Raymond at: 805-492-5858 9AM-6PM PST or email at: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Dick,

I can't speak to what Chuck did as to the amount he removed since I did not try this method myself.

That said, it's desirable to have some minimal hub.
As to the washers, they are needed on the Aristo Bettendorf trucks (these having hot box journals).
Washers are normally NOT required with the "Roller bearing" Barber trucks that this discussion is about.

-Ted

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Posted By Gary Raymond on 06 Jan 2013 07:58 PM
There are many dealers for Gary Raymond Wheels.

The best thing is to call your local dealer and ask them to order what you want if they don't have them in stock.

Marty's Hobbies in Thousand Oaks, CA usually has many Gary Raymond wheel set models in stock, takes credit cards and is quick with shipping.
Their phone is: 805-497-3664.

You can also buy them direct from Gary Raymond at: 805-492-5858 9AM-6PM PST or email at: [email protected]

Are you actually Gary Raymond or are you posting on his behalf?
If you are not Gary, who are you?

Thank you,
-Ted

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Gary Raymond A33, A34 and A36 wheel sets are designed to fit perfectly in the Aristo-craft roller bearing trucks. No modifications or spacers are necessary. Simply carefully pry the side frames apart enough to pop out the stock wheels and pop in the Gary Raymond wheel sets.

The A30, A33 and A36 are fine scale.

The A34 are semi scale for rougher trackwork.

The A34 RHL, A34BHL and A34UHl are "half ball bearing", offering ball bearing performance and still maintaining the rotating end caps.

You can contact Gary at: [email protected] or 805-492-5858 9AM - 6PM PST.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We understand the desire to see pictures of the wheel sets and hope to have photos in the future.

We have over 70 different models available.

You can always contact us via internet at: [email protected] or call at: 805-492-5858 9AM - 6 PM PST.

We are happy to help discuss the best wheel sets for your application. We also offer a full money back guarantee minus shipping costs if you'd like to exchange the wheel sets you've ordered for a different model.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All current Gary Raymond A33, A34 and A36 wheel sets fit perfectly in the Aristo-craft roller bearing trucks without any washers or modification.

Around 2001 the axle design was changed to accomplish this. Simply carefully pry apart the side frames, pop out the stock wheel sets and pop in the Gary Raymond wheel sets.

·
Registered
297 Posts
This is great as everyone else seems to be out of stock? I did not see a listing for this so I'm so glad you responded. The fact that you offer half axle bearings is even cooler. Thanks. Now to find a dealer around here??? (no more Ridge Road!)

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Posted By Gary Raymond on 06 Jan 2013 08:30 PM
The one and only.
Gary,
will you please consider adding some photos to your webpage? ;)
I am actually interested in ordering some of your wheels, but if I cant see what they look like, then its difficult to know which wheels I want.
and no one wants to order something "sight unseen"..
I suppose I could call and talk to you in person, but that doesn't really solve the problem, because you could only describe them to me..I still wouldn't be able to see them.

you probably lose a lot of business over this simple issue.
people will check out your page, not see any photos, then just look elsewhere..

just some "constructive criticism"! ;)
don't mean to offend..

thanks,
Scot

·
Registered
9 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, we do intend to add photos again when our site is redone. Also there are rotating photos in our ads. in Garden Railways Magazine of some of our most popular models. This includes our 1:32, 1:29 and 1:20.3 wheels. In addition there are photos in GR Product News when we introduce new models. Best regards, Gary

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
Gary, if you want to send me some pix, I would be happy to host them on a page exclusively devoted to your products... I have a Wheels section on my site.

(and if you go to my site, you will see how many people are on it at one time... hint hint)

I could link the pictures to your site/price list.

You can just email me hi-res pictures with the part number... I crop to 800 pixels wide for my site, but you can send me anything at that res or higher.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gary Raymond Wheels

Hi,

Yes, we are still in business. This marks our 31st year!

Our wheelset catalogue is at www.trainwheels.com as it has always been and you can always give me a call at 805 492 5858 M-F 9-5 PST to get the latest updates.

As we are an after market manufacturer some of our models have been discontinued because those train models are no longer made however we will usually have a replacement that will work for your model.

Best regards,

Gary

Gary Raymond Quality Large Scale Metal Wheelsets

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Gary,
How did you get on to this seven year old thread? Glad you are still making wheel sets. My favorite after market wheel. I managed to pick up quite a few of the newer A34's that will fit the Aristocraft rollerbearing trucks.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
User CP and Quick Links are both ways to find old threads, see header.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts