We also are up to our butts necks in snow, so testing and talking about any new battery powered projects will have to wait until May.
We originally ran our diesels with Ni-Cad, C cell packs in power cars. They were good for about 1 3/4 hours, but had to be discharged each time before recharging. The four packs I used regularly lasted for years, the two I didn’t corroded.
When NiMH AA cells became readily available at a reasonable price, we switched. These lighter and smaller packs were good for 3 1/2 hours. We only ran one locomotive or four axle diesel with them at a time and have never had a problem with them.
Their smaller size also made it possible to install them inside diesels for on-board, battery power and radio control. We would have been a lot happier however if the receivers worked as well as the NiMH packs.
I now use one A-C Lithium-Ion pack in place of two NiMH packs, so I am giving my leftover homemade NiMH battery packs to Fred as the lead acid batteries in his Annie fleet are beginning to fade.
One Lithium-Ion pack is easier to install because of the smaller size, and easier to wire. The fuel tank is an excellent place for them as it keeps the center of gravity low and leaves all the space under the hood for a receiver, sound board and speaker.
The A-C charger comes with a 2-pin plug, so a charge plug is inexpensive and easy to install.
After all these years, it looks like I finally found the answer to my radio receiver range problems with my homemade Super Socket and radio noise suppression components.
Unfortunately I am now interested in battery powered DCC with sound. That will probably bring a whole new batch of problems. Hopefully the learning curve won’t be as long.