G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Invalid file type or file exceeds max size(60kb)

I got this when trying to 'attach' a couple of photos that are only 640 pixels wide from my computer. 

Sigh - all these bugs and differences are very discouraging.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
It's not a bug...it's a limitation on attaching files. The file you are trying to attach is over 60 Kbytes in size...and that's the maximum size you can ATTACH. You'll note that an attached file is loaded FROM your hard drive....and NOT your web space...so you save on web space use (a new feature).  The pixel size has no bearing actually.

If you use the old technique ([img ]), there are no limits on file size. Or you can use the new "insert photo" feature in the full editor (Add Reply). Either of these, however, require that the photo be on the web.

The new MLS is just different in many cases....not better, not worse...just different.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know the old saying - you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  Or how about - if it ain't broke don't fix it.  This new system may be nice for Shad, but the learning curve is nasty.  I'm fed up.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I've found that you can attach bitmaps, jpegs and gifs
All as long as they are not larger than 60 K
Bitmaps do not show up as pictures, but as links
This picture is inserted from my web space, I just used the little mountain and sun icon, it is the first button on the second line when you add or edit a post.
Past the address into the window that pop up. 
If you want a big version availabe, then click on the link tab in the little pop up window and past the urn of you big picture there.
Click in this picture to see the 10 megapixle version.

The following are attachments. they were added by clicking the browse butttons and pointing to files on my hard drive. I chose a bmp, gif and jpg, and made sure they were less than 60K. This is only convenient for those who either have no first class web space, no other web space or just don't want to take the time to upload their file to a web space. It is great for those who do not have a 1st class membership.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
The problem I have with the  limitation is that most of us save in 640 size, thus would have to ressize from master file or MLS web space storage thus a PITA in trying to utilize the option of attachment.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Again, it is NOT the square footage of the image, so the width is not of importance... 320, 640, 800, 1024, etc. does not matter. It is the physical number of bytes in the file that must be less than 60K. Yes, you do have to use some program to alter the image FILE some way to reduce the number of bytes in the file... which usually results in loss of resolution (not number of pixels, but loss of clarity), but you can save the "new" smaller sized file under a different name and post that one, keeping the original high(er) resolution for your own posterity.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm with Charles - the size limit is a pain. I create 640 pixel images for MLS but in fairly high-res compression, so they are often 100K or so.

·
Registered
20 Posts
An easy way to post photos is to sign up for a free Photobucket account (http://photobucket.com/).  After uploading your photos to Photobucket, it will display a link you can use to post the picture in any forum.

From their home page, click on any photo to see the link options it displays - it is actually quite easy.  Here's one I just grabbed (not my photo though):

I resized it using the "mountain and sun" icon displayed when you make a post.

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts