G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at building a battery car and I was looking at the various types of modern cars available. It occured to me that by using an intermodal well car I could create a number of battery containers and then just switch containers when the batteries get low. I see a couple of benefits to this, 1. is that the center of gravity would be lower than a standard box car and 2. the containers could be switched out in just a few seconds if set up with pressure contacts rather than plugs.

I was just wondering what others thought both pro and con about this approach.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I have a photo some place where I simply lift the top container to change out the battery in the lower one.
very easy
HA!!!!

My newer batt don't need as much cut away as did the older types.

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Just wondering why did not use the doors instead of cutting hole in floor. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Because at the time I was using DeWalts and they have a neck on them. Now I use Milwakees

Besides these are only $10 or 15 each, so its easier than the doors.
I use containers for track side (cheap) structures.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Hey i like this idea. I am going to try and fix connectors on the bottom of the container and top of the car, so that when it is placed on the car, it will make a circuit.That way all I have to do is swap containers when the batterys run down. I have a SLA battery that went through the doors of a 20 footer ok.
Rod

·
Registered
518 Posts
Rod,

I do recall a thread, elsewhere, that used a 40ft. boxcar as a battery car which had ONE END hinged which allowed for a speedy battery change. That method might suit anyone using an SLA battery.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
50ft DD door works great, no cutting drill one hole in floor for plug

·
Registered
91 Posts
The only problem I have had with well cars is that they can bend when subjected to high heat and having weight in them. I have reinforced mine so that they will not bend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts