G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was breaking out a couple more Aristo 2-bay hoppers to do my usual mods when I sat
them on my display board and coupled them up, these were right out of the box... What I
immediately noticed was the ridiculous spacing between the cars with the stock Aristo
couplers... It intrigued me enough to measure the distance and figure out what it was in
scale ft... Turns out its about 6 1/2 ft !!! In the real world U could drive a car between those
hoppers!!! I then took the 2 that I have already done the mods to, 33" metal wheels, Kadee
820s, and lowered a little bit, put them on the board and measured again, 2 3/4 scale ft !!!
The average person could walk between them, an it looks far more like what U'd see down
at the old 1/1 rail yard... Sure makes a good case for body mount Kadees don't it... Heres a
couple of pics that demonstrate the point...
Paul R...

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Nice work. They really look a lot better.

Just another proof that 1st Aristocraft makes 'toy trains' that run around 'toy circles' and so they all need a little modelling before they're ready for the world to see.

Not complaining! I still have about 40% of my rolling stock from Aristo and it's served me very well, but as I move along I have gradually switched over to USAT. (100% of the engines already) USAT make models first - garden toys second and the details show that.

Course having said that I find the USAT couplers a bit long as well.

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
They sure look better that"s for sure. I just finished doing 10 USAT ore cars but I choose to keep the AC couplers and trucks but I got the same results you did with no additional cost. Later RJD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts