G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Interesting large scale item from Bachmann

15K views 93 replies 24 participants last post by  Spule 4 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Posted By Spule 4 on 07/05/2008 2:03 PM
Cale:
Thanks for posting this on the Bachmann forum, for some reason, I can no longer post there (strange time out message.....).

They screwed up that forum just fine! Everytime I would like to post there, I first have to delete any previous Bachmann cookies then log out and log back in. Every friggin' time! :mad: I noticed that postings are way down since the update.

-Brian

G
#6 ·
Garrett...thanks for the information to post...I get those messages most times, I was really surprised it actually took.....seems Durango Dan is also paying attn!
http://120pointme.blogspot.com/
As mentioned on LSC, I'd buy one of these, I've loved the look in On30 since I saw it the first time....now if maybe we could get a Fn3 Forney....and that Railbus is pretty sweet as well...Hey Bachmann, you listening?
Maybe I don't need to go Euro
cale/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

#7 ·
Posted By calenelson on 07/05/2008 3:50 PM
Garrett...thanks for the information to post...I get those messages most times, I was really surprised it actually took.....seems Durango Dan is also paying attn!
http://120pointme.blogspot.com/
As mentioned on LSC, I'd buy one of these, I've loved the look in On30 since I saw it the first time....now if maybe we could get a Fn3 Forney....and that Railbus is pretty sweet as well...Hey Bachmann, you listening?
Maybe I don't need to go Euro
cale/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif" border=0>

Yeah, note the two posters (pesters) that got credit Cale.....

The On30 railbus and OUTSIDE frame 4-4-0 have me wondering if I did the right thing by selling my On30 collection earlier this week?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

#9 ·
Nice alignment between front and rear counterweights.
Nice foam coupler mounting.
Part of the new "universal" nmra coupler standard?
Howard and his paid consultant have been busy!
Wonder if the "Ames Super Socket" is the new and improved "folded over itself" version.
Nice tall hood to allow for the "mandated" air clearance above said socket......

But I am REALLY enamoured of the brush work on those counterweights.
That is really nice stuff!

#10 ·
OK, here's the $50 question: Whose layout is the backdrop for the posting of the new B'mann yard switcher?
Is the layout also the location for the human that is conducting pre-distribution testing?
Perhaps photos alone were the concern -- not testing the product prior to offering it for sale.

Any insights from readers who may actually know if t his product's photo shoot was campanion to actually testing it???

I doubt that the layout shoot was at Dave Goodson's home.

Wendell

Wendell

#12 ·
Posted By Wendell Hanks on 07/05/2008 10:59 PM
OK, here's the $50 question: Whose layout is the backdrop for the posting of the new B'mann yard switcher?
Is the layout also the location for the human that is conducting pre-distribution testing?
Perhaps photos alone were the concern -- not testing the product prior to offering it for sale.
Any insights from readers who may actually know if t his product's photo shoot was campanion to actually testing it???
I doubt that the layout shoot was at Dave Goodson's home.
Wendell
Wendell

It appears to be the layout of the dealer in Japan based on other photos on his site (no other facts to base this on).

G
#13 ·
Point not yet mentioned:
This (if it is real and it is coming to America) would make an Ideal Starter Set Locomotive. Toss in a few V Dumps and they are on the way...and now to convince those in Philly who never listen to us to sell them from the Home Depot, etc...!
Can't proclaim enough that I hope it does not have some stupid socket in it!
Remember KISS: /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/kiss.gif
Keep It Simple Stanley !

#15 ·
Nice alignment? check out the black one at the bottom of the JP site. Looks like the thing is about to lock up.

Well, the had to do something with all those upgraded counterweights removed from the Kay.

And, are they really going to put a 16 volt HO 1 amp decoder in a "G" scale loco. I already know what happens when you set that 1 amp decoder on track powered by an LGB 24 volt supply.

And, a small two axle loco without electrical pickup sliders?

Strike three.

B0B

#20 ·
Chas, all diesels look alike. ;)

Seriously, I suspect this one was an easy choice because it was (a) small, and (b) already in their computers in On30. Simple to just enlarge the plans and do some minor tweaking.

As to its perceived quality, presuppositions based solely on photos and published specs (source?) are good for giving us things to eventually look for, but are of themselves physically demonstrative of nothing. For instance, if only one axle is powered, then the play in the siderods could account for the slightly askew counterweights shown in one photo. Are the axles equalized? If so, then electrical pick-up will be fine without sliders, as you'll always have two points of contact. As for the internal electronics, I'll wait until I see what's really "under the hood."

Personally, even though I'm not a diesel person, I'm looking forward to see this one in the flesh. I think it's got good potential as a "throw it on the tracks and run it" loco.

Later,

K

#21 ·
Posted By Spule 4 on 07/06/2008 7:13 PM
Well, the On30 one comes standard with a decoder, so it makes sense.
My Bachmann Porters, sans skates, do not have pickup problems.

If you have an older Porter with the pivoted front axle, you have 3-point suspension, and the contacts work.
However, later "stiff" chassis (with chuff contacts on front axle) do tend to be a bit reluctant to operate on unever track, dirty track, and some turnouts.

Of course, the installation of a decoder solves all those problems, right?

G
#23 ·
Posted By vsmith on 07/07/2008 12:24 PM
I've seriosly considered adding skates to my saddletanker to solve this issue

skip the skates-toss in 14.4v no p/u problems anymore/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif

#24 ·
I'd imagine you could get away with less than 14.4, too, depending on the needs of the control circuitry. If those locos ever got above 10 mph in normal operation, I'd be shocked and amazed. I'd think a 7.2 or 8.4v NiCad (or NiMH) pack and something like Del's Critter Control would be ideal for this little guy. I did one of the original B'mann 0-4-0s with I think a whopping 9.6 volts, only because that's what was needed as a minimum for the control circuit. For yard switching, it's quite ample.

Later,

K

#25 ·
Of course, the installation of a decoder solves all those problems, right?

well actually yes, it can. I have uneven track, and loads of didty track and my porters work just fine. In fact because they are small I generally use them for my clinics which demonstrate a variety of signal and power approaches.

In the large scale community we are fortunate that there are a lot of good methods for powering and operating an outdoor layout.

Stan Ames

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.