G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Ogaugerr.com forums:

http://ogaugerr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3181048701/m/8341005864?r=2521087864#2521087864

****************************************************************************************************

A couple of points to add to the discussion would be appropriate directly from M.T.H., so here goes.

First, M.T.H. has not been in and out of the O Scale 2-rail marketplace a couple of times. We began producing O Scale 2-rail locomotives in the early 1990s. We left the market once in the late 1990s when 2-rail sales had dwindled significantly. We reentered the O Scale 2-rail fray in 2005 when we developed our Proto-Scale 3-2 technology which allows our hi-rail (ie: 3-rail) and scale (ie: 2-rail) models to operate on either 3-rail or 2-rail track. Either version comes configured with our Proto-Sound 2.0 system which allows the user to operate on AC or DC current in conventional or command mode. The resulting technology gives users models that have the most flexibility we've ever produced and functionality not offered by any other manufacturer. Admittedly, the models suffer from two shortcomings at this point; no DCC decoder and reverse loop polarity issues.

Secondly, M.T.H. has already developed a DCS/DCC system that resolves the reverse loop polarity issue and obviously includes a DCC decoder. HO modelers have seen this system in operation in our HO K-4, Triplex and our Southern Pacific Gs4 (which begins shipping today). While we are working on incorporating this board for use in our O and One Gauge models, my previous statements to some of the posters on this topic about the ease with which this board reconfiguration could be accomplished were a bit simplified. Certainly some "beefing" up of the board is required (it must be capable of handling the higher amperage draw of our O and One Gauge models as well as function on AC and DC current), but the enhancements can't occur overnight. Before this board will be reconfigured, we're actually finishing up the second phase of our HO board this Spring. This new board will be smaller than the current HO board and will be the platform that the new O and One Gauge board will utilize. The new HO board is required so that we can install our system into smaller steam engine tenders and narrow body diesel engines.

As simple as it stands, the configuration of the new board will require serious R&D dollars. M.T.H. has invested over $5 million dollars into the development of our Proto-Sound and DCS technology since 1998. Yet, M.T.H. is committed to these investments and will be taking our O Scale products to the next level by including DCC alongside our DCS receivers and resolving any operational issues (like reverse loop polarity problems) currently found in our 2-rail O scale models. We hope that the first engines to come equipped with these new boards will appear by the end of 2008 or early 2009.

We understand skepticism about our intentions may exist in some quarters and appreciate the concern some may have about our longevity. We'll be celebrating our 30th anniversary in two years. Our executive leadership has more than 175 years of experience in the model railroading industry. We employ team leaders who have vast experience in multiple scales (including 2-rail O). We rely on outside feedback, including historical societies, hobbyists and even magazine writers and editors for guidance in creating our product lines. Most importantly, we're committed to always improving our product offerings, knowing full well that if we don't do so, we won't see another 30 years of success.

In choosing a command system or onboard locomotive features, we don't expect operators to embrace any system without first test driving it. We're confident that when one experiences DCS and the onboard features of our Proto-Sound locomotives, no system will compare. Of course we're biased!

Andy Edleman
Vice President - Marketing
MTH Electric Trains

Provides insight what's on the way and also on the big dollars involved in development. So as we should expect, any changes will take time.

(Thanks for the heads-up Chuck on this post).

Raymond

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
We're confident that when one experiences DCS and the onboard features of our Proto-Sound locomotives, no system will compare. Of course we're biased!

Ray, isn't this what we are trying to convince people of?
Thank you for sharing this, I like the fact that he posted how much money is involved in R&D. Not alot of manufactures would. It's nice to know that in the future, my NON-MTH Engines with the DCS system installed in it will be able to be upgrade so they can run on a reverse loop, even though I don't have any plans as of yet of ever having one myself.
Cliff

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With all seriousness, I just want folks trying to decide on a control system to take an objective look at DCS as a possible option. I want folks to take an objective look at ALL their options, and there are alot!

(For $180 (if you install the DCS kit yourself), it's one heck of a value for sound and control.)

The $5 million figure on development explains why most of the other Largescale control systems aren't as sophisticated and don't have integrated sound(let alone this high a quality). This market isn't big enough to support that kind of R&D budget on a sound and control system. While I don't know much about LGB's MTS, this is why it has taken systems grown from other scales such as this and DCC to bring really advanced control to Largescale.

Raymond

G

·
0 Posts
I'm sold... were does one go to sign up? i'll have some please...HE HE HE /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif
Nick...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts