G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have recently inherited the following train in it's origina; box w/display stand. It was my grandfathers and remember when he passed away in the late 70's. He was a collector of brass trains. I think this is "O' scale.

United Scale Model
Golden Spike Centennial C.P. Jupiter
U.P. 119
"Exclusively for Pacific Fast Mail"
Manufactured by Atlas Industries Inc.
Kawaguchi, Japan

I also have:

U,S,R,A, Heavy 4-6-2H
Brass
Akane Model Trains Tokyo Japan
Unpainted
In original box

Do you know what the value of these might be or direct me to someone that might know.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Those sound more like HO than O.

I'm not up on current prices but the golden spike set was limited and United (PFM) made high quality models. Going solely by memory I think it was offered in 1969-70.

The Akane models had very smooth mechanisms for the day although a bit less detailed than models by United. Still good though and contemporary with United.

I believe both used neoprene universals which deteriorate with time. So if the motor just spins and the engine(s) don't move that's almost sure to be the trouble. If this is the case they can be replaced with a soft rubber tubing. I just mention this in case someone wants to buy them dirt cheap if they don't run.

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Don't believe you will buy brass locos dirt cheap even if they do not run seeing how this is a easy fix. Try e-bay if looking to sell. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
If you can post the back to back distance between a pair of wheels, someone here will be easily able to tell you the scale. That is something you must know before you even try to sell them.

Chuck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The centennial is N gauge in original box w/display stand. The AKANE is in original box with the factory sticker inside the lid w/sign off card and all signitures readable, this one is HO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts