G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post for me, so hope this is proper.
I would really appreciate anyone sharing their knowledge about American Mainline flex track, as I am considering purchasing a quanity of this brand because it seems to be the most reasonable in price. It will be a major investment for me, and I don't want to make a mistake.
I do have other track, Aristo, LGB and USA, which all seem to be satisfactory and comperable. This AM track is Euro ties, which should match everything else I have.

Since this track is reasonable, (and that brings out my skeptic side) I am thinking that there must be a downside to this. I am also unfamiliar with flex track, and really don't need the flex part, as it will be used for streight sections only.
Please, any knowledge on this brand track will be VERY appreciated!

Thanks, Ron in Sacramento, CA

·
Super Modulator
20,521 Posts
A friend of mine, who operates a well known Internet shop says that the AML stuff is outselling all his other track brands.

The reason that they can make it inexpensively is that AML, owned by Accucraft, has their own factory, unlike Aristo and USAT (made by Sanda Kan, now owned by KAder) and LGB (no LGB did not make their own track).

By the way, the track comes straight, not bent, flexing is optional!

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Are you looking at narrowgauge or standard gauge track. Only because so far I see the narrowgauge track from AMS holds up better. The standard gauge ties seem to warp over time making the track cup. This may be a fluke but it happened on a friends track and he is in the process of replacing all the ties. Anyone else have the standard gauge track from AMS, what are your opnions?

Sunset Valley and llagas Creek is also another option, I have the llagas narrowgauge code 215 for about 6 years with no uv damage or any kinking. Track is nailed to 2x6 boards in the ground. Still complely level

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have AML flex track. Good product at a good price.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
I have some AMS Flex in code 332 for a year now, no problems. Any new expansions will be only AMS Flex for me.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
AML track is great, its priced far better than aristos track, looks better, quality is far better than aristos and Robbie at RLD hobbies has it on sale four ... buy 4 boxs get one for free... cant go wrong with AML code 332 brass track..

G

·
0 Posts
Ron,

about wich track to use, there are more different opinions than different products.
best way could be to go fishing for invitations. and look at existing layouts, to build your own decision.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have used the code 332 flex for a small battery operated layout and liked it fine.

Has anybody out there been using it for track power?

-Brian

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
I have a question regarding G gauge flex track. Is it truly flexable? Can you hold one end and bend the other end around by hand or do you need a rail bender? I've got HO brass flex track that I secured one end and pulled the other end around to make a 10-11 inch radius curve all by hand. Can you do that with G Flex?

Randy

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
Depends on the rail material. Aluminum, no problem in any common size. Brass, code 250 bends fairly easily without a railbender, code 332 a bit more difficult, though quite frankly I'd use a railbender anyway for both. (I'm in love with the Train-Li dual-rail railbender. Expensive, yes. Also worth its weight in gold. Many clubs have one to loan out to members.) Stainless? Railbender all the way.

The advantage of the dual-rail railbenders is that you don't have to take the rail out of the ties to bend it. You just put the bender on the rail, set the dial, and push it along. Slick. I didn't have one when I built mine (AMS code 250 brass), but have since used it when tweaking track here and there for minor adjustments.

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I have a 144 feet of AML flex track. I took one of the boxes of 6 six-foot straight and bent it with a Train-Li track bender for my indoor layout. I bent them into 90 degree turns. The AML track can be bent by hand because it is so flexible left to right. You can pick a six foot section up off the ground and hold it in your hand and it will not sag. I have run mine with track power AND DCS and it works great!!!!!! No sparking, just a smooth run. I also used Split-jaw rail clamps. (recommended) The track does come with connectors but you would be better off using split-jaws or Hillman rail clamps.

Cliff

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Brian et al,

I need to place a large order for 332 flex What brand are you using. Does AML offer 332 flex brass?

Seems to me that 250 flex is in... and for good reason however I want the 332 for my elephant to stand on. (me)

I received my dual Train Li bender last week. I can see the engineering and quality in it and for me it justifies the cost. Think it is expensive in US$???? Try importing it and paying an extra 30% exchange rate AND brokerage/freight fees !!!

At the price I paid, the unit will be put on display while not in use. ( One of my many expensive train stories )

gg

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Posted By GG on 03/11/2009 2:08 PM
Brian et al,

I need to place a large order for 332 flex What brand are you using. Does AML offer 332 flex brass?

Seems to me that 250 flex is in... and for good reason however I want the 332 for my elephant to stand on. (me)

I received my dual Train Li bender last week. I can see the engineering and quality in it and for me it justifies the cost. Think it is expensive in US$???? Try importing it and paying an extra 30% exchange rate AND brokerage/freight fees !!!

At the price I paid, the unit will be put on display while not in use. ( One of my many expensive train stories )

gg

QUOTE...
AML track is great, its priced far better than aristos track, looks better, quality is far better than aristos and Robbie at RLD hobbies has it on sale four ... buy 4 boxs get one for free... cant go wrong with AML code 332 brass track

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
RLD hobbies...... do they have a website?

gg

1 - 20 of 56 Posts