G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, soon i will be off to college, and if there is one thing that has been plaguing me more than anything, it is the problem of how to bring my hobby with me. I found Cral Arendt's site about small layouts, and it proved to be good inspiration. But I was wondering, "How small can a true operable layout be in g scale?
Not Gn15, but standard or large (30"+) G gauge." what I had in mind was something similar to "the Box Street Yard" or "Carl's imports". but just how small can one truly get a G scale train layout to be if small equipment is running such as porters or my LGB Stainz [email protected] url(http://www.mylargescale.com/Provide...ad.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);@import url(/providers/htmleditorproviders/cehtmleditorprovider/dnngeneral.css);

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would have to say an Inglenook Siding layout. A Timesave based layout may be a tad larger.

I've laid out an Inglenook in my living room, in Fn3, with Bachmann K-27's and AMS 30' freight cars, using AMS track and #6 switches. It was a tad over 20 feet. I'm thinking using short curves and short cars, you could compress that down...

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I built a version of Carls Imports in G in 4'x1' it was in the 2004 scrapbook and made it into Carls last book #3.

http://www.carendt.us/scrapbook/page22/index.html

The Borracho Brewery near the bottom, unfortunatly I never finished it completely due to space problems, G eats up a ton of space even in micro format, but it did work, I eventually fixed the transverser in place in the forward position as it proved un-necessary, and fixed a loading dock into the space behind it, leaving just the sector plate. I might rebuild it one day. we'll see.

I miss Carl and hope the site will live on.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that is not the end even if it does disappear. The only thing that was better than Carl's site would be 100's of sites featuring individual layouts. instead of touching on each one, a whole site dedicated to each would be much more interesting. Well I am off to do something amazing, give G scale the ability to go to college.
--JJWtrainman

·
Registered
438 Posts
Why not get a loop of the aristo pizza tracks they have a 21" and a 30" diameter I believe they are. You could set up a continous run and then have some switching action inside the loop. You could build the whole thing to store under your bed.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Posted By jjwtrainman on 31 Mar 2011 04:36 PM
Well, that is not the end even if it does disappear. The only thing that was better than Carl's site would be 100's of sites featuring individual layouts. instead of touching on each one, a whole site dedicated to each would be much more interesting. Well I am off to do something amazing, give G scale the ability to go to college.
--JJWtrainman

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
A Train, its a terrible thing to waste. Please give to the Gauge 1 College Fund today.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
A Train, its a terrible thing to waste. Please give to the Gauge 1 College Fund today.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Really, four posts?

·
Registered
455 Posts
"Indoor, Micro Layout, in G ?"

How about a G-scale ride-on layout (n-scale ?) ! open gondolas with a cushioned seat at either end appropriate engine with seat for operator

Here is a roster list with pics; http://www.swedenfreezer.com/avr/assiniboine_valley_railway_Roster.htm
As we know they're not always configured for 'real' passengers;
http://www.swedenfreezer.com/avr/images/AVR-CPR 5303 WITH CARS.jpgAVR is back in my home province of Manitoba (aka central Canada !) doug c

p.s. and a 'live' propane tanker http://www.swedenfreezer.com/avr/AVR_PROPANE_CAT_CALX 3108.htm

{yeeech hit return too often and lines still going astray !}

·
Registered
756 Posts
you know you might consider some of my thoughts for you

1 while we have a great hobby, im not sure i would suggest making this your identity your first year at college-like it or not, many think of the hobby as childish or wierd-its not even as accepted as being a computer geek or robot engineer/ competitor
theres an entirely new world awaiting you at school-and i would be judicious in what pastimes you decide to take along-not ony for use of your time, but also dorm room space, and consideration for a roomate

i dont know if you will be away from home-more than a few hours drive-but id strongly suggest testing the waters for the first semester and then determine if this is what you want at school

2 its not the most social of hobbies-it can be-but its also a bit of a one person operation-especially a small one
3 where in the world will you put this and what will your roomate/dormies think
4 where in the world will you put any girls you meet-under the train table in your room?
perhaps sexist of me-but i have met a tiny percentage of females that like trains-
girls like to party, dance, do sports, etc etc-i think youll find few that are interested in trains and fewer that really go for 'train guys"-
hope youre getting the picture

5 i might suggest that your first year or so at college should focus on campus life, friends and social integration, not to mention study and other campus activities and organizations-those will do a great deal more to enhance your resume than your train set

-to me-trains are not likely to foster your full appreciation of campus -unless you create a train club or something
and
at least for myself when i was at college,
and my son whos at an east coast school presently,
theres sufficient time for personal activity-but i dont think youll want to spend it with your trains, in your room, versus hanging with others.......

im not syaing you shouldnt have things that you like at school-i took my guitar and mountaineering gear, and a bike-(things that might help me soicalize as well youll note)
but if you must have a train fix-

it would seem to me that, as a very compact alternative, one which you could closet or or give time to, a z scale set, fitted in a breifcase might be a thought-or n scale, for more affordability-both will offer you a great deal of operation in a tiny area, execellent running and ease of finding kits etc at even the most remote hobby shop -and
i might suggest Kato n scale and sectional track for convenience of set up and take down and changing things around-as it was designed for this

good luck in your decision

·
Registered
934 Posts
A while back on You-Tube I found a video by a college kid who managed to cram a good sized layout into a dorm room - layout was about two or three times the size of Vic's if memory serves, running on shelves around the walls.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@import url(http://www.mylargescale.com/Provide...ad.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);@import url(/providers/htmleditorproviders/cehtmleditorprovider/dnngeneral.css); Posted By stevedenver on 13 Apr 2011 09:13 AM
you know you might consider some of my thoughts for you

1 while we have a great hobby, im not sure i would suggest making this your identity your first year at college-like it or not, many think of the hobby as childish or wierd-its not even as accepted as being a computer geek or robot engineer/ competitor
theres an entirely new world awaiting you at school-and i would be judicious in what pastimes you decide to take along-not ony for use of your time, but also dorm room space, and consideration for a roomate

i dont know if you will be away from home-more than a few hours drive-but id strongly suggest testing the waters for the first semester and then determine if this is what you want at school

2 its not the most social of hobbies-it can be-but its also a bit of a one person operation-especially a small one
3 where in the world will you put this and what will your roomate/dormies think
4 where in the world will you put any girls you meet-under the train table in your room?
perhaps sexist of me-but i have met a tiny percentage of females that like trains-
girls like to party, dance, do sports, etc etc-i think youll find few that are interested in trains and fewer that really go for 'train guys"-
hope youre getting the picture

5 i might suggest that your first year or so at college should focus on campus life, friends and social integration, not to mention study and other campus activities and organizations-those will do a great deal more to enhance your resume than your train set

-to me-trains are not likely to foster your full appreciation of campus -unless you create a train club or something
and
at least for myself when i was at college,
and my son whos at an east coast school presently,
theres sufficient time for personal activity-but i dont think youll want to spend it with your trains, in your room, versus hanging with others.......

im not syaing you shouldnt have things that you like at school-i took my guitar and mountaineering gear, and a bike-(things that might help me soicalize as well youll note)
but if you must have a train fix-

it would seem to me that, as a very compact alternative, one which you could closet or or give time to, a z scale set, fitted in a breifcase might be a thought-or n scale, for more affordability-both will offer you a great deal of operation in a tiny area, execellent running and ease of finding kits etc at even the most remote hobby shop -and
i might suggest Kato n scale and sectional track for convenience of set up and take down and changing things around-as it was designed for this

good luck in your decision

1. I'm not going to college to pick up chicks!
Besides, if one wanted to be my girl friend, she would find out sooner or later, and then look where we'd both be!

2. If someone has a problem with me and my hobby, so be it, he/she doesn't have to be with me. Being truthful is the best way to get friends that last, no matter how few. My hobby is no secret to my peers at other high schools, and I still have friends, good ones too.
3. I am not nearly as adventurous as most people are, so even if there is a lot to do, most of it i don't care to take on.
4. i am going to get a small layout, so that the times that i would be in my dorm, no matter how few, i would have something to occupy me. One last thing is that it would probably take me a year to build and finish a model railroad, so there already is one year of college where nobody really knows what I am constructing.

Though i appreciate your suggestion, I will never consider leaving the hobby, as well as all the others I am involved with: biking, golf, R/C stuff, and airsoft/ paintball, No matter how temporary. As stated earlier in this post, I couldn't care less what people think of me. I am not there for them, and there are not there for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts