G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those visiting Southern California, the Living Desert outdoor museum in Palm Desert has an outstanding GIGANTIC outdoor "G gauge" desert-themed railroad.
Starting this Thanksgiving weekend the dynamic "Wild Lights" program will be throughout the animal and botanic park -- well worth seeing the thousands of lights and the effects in particular on the desert-focused railroad.

I worked in the "car barn" this weekend with other members of the SoCalif.Garden RR Society lubing locomotives. There are at least 60 locos that can be selected - usually at least seven trains are running simultaneously over the thousands of feet of track. Seeing the long trains cover the 220 feet of circular trestle is amazing.

Check out the "Living Desert" website for times. The park is located in Palm Desert on Portola Ave. The evening run features the "Wild Lights" theme.
Wendell

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I stop there every Year on the way to THE BIG TRAIN SHOW. It is worth seeing.

I stop every year to see what they added.

That is where I met my first MLS group. There was a thread on here about going to see the LDRR. I got up early on a Sat and drove over.
I met Stan Ceaderleaf, John Corradini, Jim Francis, Howard, and some others. WE had a great time. We toured the shops. We bought the store out of their video.
There was none left when we left. We went to lunch and I drove back to AZ.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I've been planning to make a trip out to see this display and the animals as well. Here is my question: If you could only see it once and had to choose either all day or the shortened evening hours with the Holiday light display what would you recommend?
I'm leaning toward the day trip though would like to see the Holiday display as well.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
I remember that well. The first time I met you, JJ.
That was a long time ago-eight years or more!

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
JJ
I remember that day very well. What a day that was.
What started out to be just Stan Ceaderleaf and I wound up being
a group of 12 or 14 MLS members. As usual a great time was had by all.
We need to make another trip to the LDRR soon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Living Desert attendance times? I would see it in the daytime if this is your first experience. The changes are constant with the railroad - especially, if you have not been there within a year. Please introduce yourself to those who are hosting the trains and indicate you are responding to a posting on MyLargescale.

The website has the data and map.

Wendell

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Bro.John how about getting together for a picnic there, just before or just after the BTS next year? JJ, Stan, Gary? I was thinking maybe the Thursday or Monday?

Open to idea's guys.

Rod

1 - 7 of 7 Posts