G Scale Model Train Forum banner

I'm REALLY stuck.... OT/NT rant, don't read

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Paradise 
#1 ·
It seems they reached a tenative agreement on the $700B bailout, that's nice.... But I'M still stuck.

A guy ordered 2 kits of me. I had one of them in stock. The other was backordered waiting on flywheels from the foundry (which would rather cast 300# manhole covers to replace the ones stolen by scrappies than 6# flywheels)...Fast forward to last week, the kit is ready to ship...except the customer got antsy and charged the ENTIRE $500 amount (including the value of the merchandise already received) back against his card... So Merchant Services yanks it out of MY account (and doesn't tell me WHY for almost 10 days)... So now I'm in overdraft, fees added to fees. Call merchant services they won't release the $500 back to me until the "customer" clears it, which he won't until I ship the product I no longer have the money to ship (catch 22)... ALSO they aren't responsible for the overdraft fees, they are MY problem.

Next call is to the bank, explain what's going on. Tell them I really don't agree with their $100 in fees (and mounting) over something I had no control over. Their response was they won't waive the fees because it "wasn't a bank error".... Their only "solution" for "next time" is to apply for a line of credit (which I don't qualify for because I'm in overdraft, and also because I'm self-employed) or open an bounce preventative savings account (with a MINIMUM $1,000.00 deposit) -- If I HAD a spare grand I wouldn't be IN this mess, now would I?

Next step, going out of business sale? Or bankruptcy plus sue the whole #$%& lot for sending me there?

Bottom line, screw a lot of people by doing shady things and the government not only bails you out, but will most likely pay at least part of your "golden parachute"...Do nothing wrong, get bit in the a$$ by uncaring people with their stupid inflexible "rules" that are stacked against you, and you can go to he## as far as anybody is concerned...

See less See more
Discussion starter · #6 ·
Fishy? I'm telling the truth here. Want to come read the danged letter? BTW WHICH side of the dispute were you on? If you were the CUSTOMER then you wouldn't know what was actually happening on the other end, would you? If you were the vendor, then I'm glad YOUR bank is so understanding, I wish MINE was.

Fact: Merchant Services (of Hagerstown Md) took the money out of my account on the 8th (first sign there was a problem was trying to mail some packages the next day and the card for that account wouldn't work.) Fact: I wasn't officially notified WHY the money was taken until a letter from them finally showed up on SATURDAY the 20th when THEY were NOT open (saying I had until the 22nd to respond!). Fact: They say they are holding it "in escrow" "until the matter is settled", which means I do NOT have it -- it HAS been forcibly taken from me WITHOUT my consent, or even prior notification. And BEFORE "due process" (Doesn't that fit the definition of "THEFT"? Except since it is a BANK, they can get away with it.)... NOR it seems will I be allowed to seek redress for the fees that have accrued because of this violation

Further, when I called the lady at Merchant Services, she told me that THEY had "no control" over the amount, because it was the customer's credit card company who presented the $500 chargeback. In the explanation letter it said IN WRITING that he had received a partial shipment. It also went on to say he had tried to contact me "numerous times" by email and phone (the last allegedly on Sept 5), and that I hadn't responded...except that I didn't GET any emails or phone calls from him.

People look at the "consumer protection" crap that the card companies spew as a GOOD thing. Except when you charge back it is taken directly and immediately from the vendor, who took the card in good faith BEFORE they ask ANY questions...even the one "is this chargeback legitimate?" ...(the CARD company is only a "facilitator", like evilBay claims to be, THEY aren't going to absorb the loss)...I'm sure permission to do this is buried SOMEWHERE in the 50+ page legaleze "merchant agreement"... just like the part where you're SUPPOSED to take the card the same as cash, even if they want to charge 68c and you have a $2.00 transaction fee PLUS about 3%.... If you see more and more places NOT taking cards, that's a BIG part of why. I'm certainly going to re-evaluate the cost/benefit of accepting them.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Posted By Spule 4 on 09/27/2008 8:43 AM

See above, did not know I had to pick a side (even tho I was on yours?????)

Sorry guys, guess I'm just a lil touchy.... STILL getting the runaround and that "uh-huh, SURE" voice from the people at the other end.

I think in the process I've found a few MORE of those people who flunked out of the IRS's charm school (the rest seem to work for the student loan servicing places).

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Got a notice in today's mail... Says I have 10 days to deposit money to cover the overdraft plus fees, or they will close the account and report me to the national banking system and the all the credit reporting people, plus send me to collections.... so much for working WITH me to resolve ANYTHING.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
The bank? First Communewea..errr Commonwealth

I sell model engineering stuff, steam engine kits, gas engine kits, stirling engines, etc. plus steam toys, and wood toys.... For the moment, anyway.

I've always considered bankruptcy as the coward's or crook's way out -- but I'm starting to consider it so I won't lose my a## as well as my shirt AND pants....

Discussion starter · #16 ·
http://www.catfish-hollow.com (Shad if you don't allow that, just remove it)...

And it's not JUST the $500, it's been a pattern of huge bank fees over stupid stuff all summer (Mostly things like automatic withdrawals being run through one day and the deposit I made to cover it not being processed till the next...plus this is the second time I've had a chargeback on something that was already shipped...the last one was reversed within 12 hours (guy's wife had signed for it, and hid it from him), but STILL cost me $99 in bounce fees)... The exchange rate playing havoc by causing the wholesale price to jump between when the customer ordered/payed and the supplier invoiced me (nice when it COSTS you more than the guy payed because you're stuck eating the increase)..... PLUS I have a guy who payed some time ago for a ride on locomotive kit, which they shipped minus the boiler (which, he is right, has been on backorder entirely too long, but it seems that the boiler makers in England have an average 2 year backorder, and some have stopped taking new orders altogether)...but nonetheless, he has given me until the 15th of November to pull said boiler out of my ear or refund $4500 or he says he'll sue me AND try to have me arrested for "internet fraud"...

Meanwhile, the guy who works mornings at my "other" job came in this afternoon and said "I hope you didn't deposit your paycheck!"...seems he tried to cash his at the bank it was written on, and they wouldn't do it because there was insufficient funds in the payroll account!!!.... woo hoo!

To quote Irish comedian Dave Allen, "Don't hit a man when he's down -- Kick him, it's easier!" /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.