G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now folks, I am not sure if this belongs here but it really didn't fit under one of the catagories in Remote Control (at least from what I could see).

Anyway, for those folks that have tried "one of everything", if you had to start all over from ground zero with your current knowledge, what remote control system would you pick to run your trains and why? Thanks

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The same one I started with 18 years ago and still use today.

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
I started with the Aristo 27mhz trackside TE and still use it to this day.

All engines i have purchased have worked in linear mode (Aristo, Bachmann, LGB, LGB/MTS, USA). Phoenix, sierra and Dallee sound units worked perfectly also.

I have moved on to Zimo DCC and have installed a switch to select either operating mode.

SO, a visitor can run most anything on my RR if it will negotiate 8 foot diameter curves.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I still use the 27MHz "Train Engineer" from Aristo.

If I was starting from scratch today, I'd look to Aristo's Revolution, though Tony from OZ has some cool things.

With the Revolution out, you might be able to pick up somebody's old Train Engineer's pretty cheap and they work a treat.

·
Master of Disaster
867 Posts
I'd have to say I still like the Airwire! But I also like the new Revo, but not as many buttons to play with.

The only problem with the AW is the T-1000 speed dial there is no stopping point...wish they would change that, out side of that I like the AW system with the P-5 Phoenix. Real simple to install, program, and use.

Revo is easier, I figured it out without instructions...the AirWire I needed instructions.  With the Revo and the plug and play socket make it REAL easy to be up and running in no time without all the wiring of the AW, but AW is still my fav!  

IMHO

Bubba

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Aristo 27MHz Train engineer in a battery car is what I started with. It has worked real nicely for me. Easy and affordable. If I were starting today I would probably go with a Revo instead.

Tom

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have to go with Bubba on this, Air Wire and P5. Very easy to hook up.
I have the cheaper A/W so I have the stop on my controller.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
I spent about 9 years reading forums and studying before I tried anything but analog DC.

Once I wrote down what I wanted to do, and looked what was available:

long trains
multiple units
run trains for unlimited time
ability to remotely control small locos without trailing cars

sophisticated remotely controlled sound
sounds tied directly to actual engine load
many options for remote control of accessories
a "foundation" that can expand....

DCC was (and still is) my only option... started there, and still satisfied with my choice

Greg

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Greg raises a very good point.....the analysis. What my wants and needs are will not be the same as Greg's or yours. What features is it that you want? How big is the railroad? Long running time? Switching. Sound, special effects......Budget And perhaps what my needs were 5 or 10 years ago are not the same today. My RR grew, my motive power changed, my interest changed. So be a little careful by simply counting up what worked the best for you or would you do it over.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
For my specific needs wireless DCC (Massoth) works perfectly--wouldn't change a thing. I like it, my family likes it, and guests like it. Hardware is excellent, software is excellent and easily upgradeable, controller is in my opinion the best blend of functionality and ease of use, and support first class.

Keith

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
My pick is for DCC which BTW I currently use. Also I prefer the NCE system for ease of use.

And reason for choosing

Being able to operate multiple trains at once.

In opposite directions like the real trains

Being able to control sounds independently

Dcc?sound boards all in one

Cheap in price

Controlling of accessory's and

being able to switch in the yard while trains running on the main.

Since I changed over to DCC my train running times are so much more enjoyable.

Later RJD

·
Registered
49 Posts
1] Build it elevated the first time.
2] Not buying Aristo stainless steel switches with the intention of switching to SS track the month before the price skyrocketed out of my reach.
3] Convert all my locos to battery/rc sooner

Roger
POOL RR
Caddo Mills, TX

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Thread is only about remote control, so I hope it does not turn into a debate over type of track or elevated vs on the ground. I think the results here will be interesting.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The same thing I am running now! QSI/G-wire and both T-9000 throttle and the NCE garden wire throttle. Once I did my first install, and heard the sounds, and experienced the control of the system,the ease of installation, cost factor, and the diversity of running multiple trains and experiencing, what I consider to be running trains like or close to real trains, having control of almost everything, I was sold, and remain sold, until something better, more cost effective, and or more enhanced comes along. Only regret is the new board (eventually) coming out from QSI is not adaptable to everything I have and will require a brand new board/decoder, instead of an upgrade of some kind to what we already have!! Oh and that USA has never come with the adapter for QSI, but found a cheap, quick and easey peasey fix for that thanks to Greg E. Regal

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
I, too, waited for years before changing over to r/c battery but that was mainly because of price. Once I "bit the bullet" and had my first locomotive r/c'd, I was hooked! I use RCS Elite with Soundtraxx Sierra Digital sound. The range of TX to RX is between 75 and 150 ft. so it works well on my layout. I understand that Cordless Renovations will be coming out with a 2.4 Ghz retro fit to these units. It could be very interesting! Oh yes, I would stay with the RCS unit. It does everything I want it to do and the TX unit is small enough to fit in my pocket and easy enough to use so that I can run one in each hand if I so choose! Oh yes, the "technical assistance" (in this case, from NWRCS) is second to none!

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
I'll echo that the RCS "elite" unit is a good basic R/C system. I used it for years before upgrading to the Revolution, Airwire, and QSI systems. (I've got two RCS units for sale! See the classifieds.) The reason I upgraded was that I wanted the more precise motor control and extra sound functions that the newer systems afford. Of the three systems I use now, I really couldn't pick out a clear "winner." They each have strengths and weaknesses, and I choose which receiver I buy based on the needs of the locomotive. (Are their auxiliary lights that I'll need to control, what sounds do I want, etc.)

Later,

K

·
Registered
811 Posts
DCC. I liked it so much I converted 3 layouts.

What KIND of DCC?.... Actually any of the better ones. Digitrax, NCE, Massoth, Zimo, Lenz and others all work well, further, they all work together. The on board gear doesn't have to come from the same source as the fixed plant.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I started with a power pack and 50 FT or cable to drag it aroudn the laytout.. I now have 5 27MHZ aristo Track side mounted in Box cars. and I have 7 Air wire but not using any at this time. I like Ariso for push buttons and emergency stop. I like Air Wire for range. I am not crazzy abut the knob. I am contemplating a different Xmitter for my Air Wire. ( Translated When I get the money I am going to do something different with my air wire and keep the recievers. ) The New River and Western is haveing cash flow problems right now.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts